Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Converting/Creating Themes
Tendency

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for a tutorial on upgrading themes to the current RavenNuke version from PHP-Nuke 7.6, Nuke Platinum and/or Nuke Evolution.

I can do the file modifications, just need to know what changes to make.

Thanks in advance!

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Just look at the stock themes. They should give you a good idea of the changes needed. The biggest changes would be with the ads code, footer code, forums addons, and xhtml 1.0 valid code instead of html 4.01. It is usually easier to modify an existing theme to look like the one you want it to since most older themes are not valid and will cause issues with new browsers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Looks like I have some work to do boxingself

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote

There are many ways to go about validation but what I do is have the w3c validator bookmarked and keep it open in a Firefox tab:''

http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

Then, as I modify the theme, I look at output (view source, copy and paste) and copy and paste it into the validator. Then look for errors. In many of the themes we inherited from PHPnuke there were tables or table rows or cells that didn't close properly. Nowadays you can also find divs and the like that are opened but not closed. You will find doing validation that errors "cascade" in that a single error can cause dozens or even hundreds of other errors. So you kind of have to proceed incrementally.

The advice about using an existing validated theme from the current distribution as a base to modify is good advice. Preview a few and see which comes closest to what you want and then use that. Validate as you make changes to avoid creating your own cascading series of errors.

Tendency

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip fkelly! That helps Very Happy

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote

I'm converting an old jade theme to html5 ... oh fun in the sun for sure, but it's getting there. I started with 160 validation errors on the home page. I'm now at less than half that number. On a non-theme note, I was a tad shocked to find there was no successful html5 validation for metadata. Now I'm half way through converting a tables.php file and I still have hair. Wink Dance-Stick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote

if I give someone a theme will they help me get it converted it loads most but the only thing its not showing is the footer and right side blocks please help [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Converting/Creating Themes

View next topic
View previous topic