Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
jbabey

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote

I have heard of BBAnti-spam but would prefer a more "integrated" method of dettering bots.

How would I add a custom question field to the registration page without having to call a 3rd party add-on.

Example:

Please type the first three letters of the alphabet (hint ABC). **TEXTBOX**

Any help would be appreciated, the search turned up similiar but not exactly this.

Thank you,
~J

Cool

wHiTeHaT
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote

For now i wont get into details how you add a custom field.

But i want you to give a notice abouth a hidden field , what makes such textbox or captcha irrelevant.

You can insert a sort/type of question inside your page and give several options to this question , for example a radio button.
But the trick is to not show this to your users and hide it in css.
Whenever one of the radio buttons are be selected , you will now it isnt a real human.
So when it is selected, you can block this user to continue.

All real human wont notice anything, and go further with the procedure.

slackervaara
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote

BBantispam is very practical, if you put the installation code in config.php, because the it stops ALL spam in PHP-Nuke like forum, feedback, comments, shoutbox etc. I have used bbantispam for 3-4 years and is very satisfied.

jbabey

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote

I have not actually tried BBantispam, but I do not want a confirmation for every action when a user attempts to post, just an additional measure to stop them from ever registering in the first place.

The hidden field sounds intriguing and I would definitely like to hear more. I have a test site being setup to mirror the live site, I will test BBantispam there... my goal though is not to just prevent spam, I do not want there to be hurdles for legitimate human beings that are using the site regardless of the reasoning. All of the hurdles, IMHO, should be in the registration process as the user is already commited to "filling stuff out" if you know what i mean.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing more options!

slackervaara

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote

BBantispam you only have confirm the first time and the second time etc you don't have to answer the question unless your ip-address has changed. It is very appreciated by regular users for that. I have to answer the question in bbantispam maybe once a month.

jbabey

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote

slackervaara wrote:
BBantispam you only have confirm the first time and the second time etc you don't have to answer the question unless your ip-address has changed. It is very appreciated by regular users for that. I have to answer the question in bbantispam maybe once a month.

well that sounds fantastic lol,

alright then, I will give it the ol "one-two" and report back.

Appreciate it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic