Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
JeRicHoOL
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote

Well, I was doing some setting for NukeSentinel in my RavenNuke and now I can't log in as admin anymore. It worked before. I haven't changed the password or username though.

Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote

You really need to provide more information for us to have a chance at figuring it out. What were you doing in Nuke Sentinel? You were logged in as admin then? What are the symptoms when you can't log in? For instance do you get to the login screen and enter the username and password and captcha and it just returns the login screen or are there other symptoms.

There are ways to reset the password for the admin username thru phpmyadmin but it would be helpful to know if this is the cause before going further.

Also please provide version info in the posts, Version of RN and version of NS would help.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote

RavenNuke 2.20.01

NukeSentinel 2.5.16

----------

When I click "Admin Menu" this window comes up.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

When I enter my username and password the window refreshes and I have to enter it again and again and again...

When I close it this appears on my site.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

----------

The last thing I was doing is configuring the NukeSentinel options.

I was doing these steps. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I didn't have the "HTTP Auth" so i was trying to configure it for CGI Auth which I have.

1. Changed permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess to 777
2. Placed the paths to .htaccess and .staccess in the NukeSentinel(tm) Admin Control Panel.
3. Selected CGI Auth Access from the drop down box.
4. From the NukeSentinel Admin Control Panel, selected Scan For New Admins.
5. Selected Admin Auth List and made sure that all admins have been assigned passwords.
6. Saw a link that said Build CGIAuth file. Clicked it. That built my .staccess id:pass file.
* Now back in the main NS ACP, in the .staccess box, you will see a link that says CGI Auth Setup. Click it. It should produce a new window with the following information:

Code:
# -------------------------------------------

# Start of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth
<Files .staccess>
    deny from all
</Files>

<Files admin.php>

<Limit GET POST PUT>
        require valid-user
    </Limit>
    AuthName "Restricted by NukeSentinel(tm)"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /home/USERNAME/public_html/.staccess
</Files>
# End of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth

7. Copied and pasted that into my .htaccess file.
8. Changed my permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess back to 666.
9. Renamed the rn.htaccess file that is in modules/Forums/admin to .htaccess and then modified the line for AuthUserFile to match what I have within the .htaccess file that is in the root of my RavenNuke(tm) installation.

----------

Well, that's what I did. I followed all steps correctly I think but now I got the problem. Sad

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote

Well this shows that your problem is not with your admin username or password. The setup of this can be finicky and the instructions have to be followed exactly. You can comment out the added sections in htaccess temporarily to have it bypass cgi_auth. Someone else will have to look at what you've done or you'll have to redo it following the instructions EXACTLY in the sequence they are written.

It may be heresy but I don't use this feature. I know it provides an extra layer of security but it is also a p.i.t.a. especially when you add administrators who aren't technically oriented and who get all flustered and having to remember another password and username.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote

Password and username were the same as my normal user account.
Well, if no one can help me then I might try to replace the files that I have edited with the original files which I still have on my PC. I did this on my test site anyway. On my real site I still haven't done the NukeSentinel settings because I didn't want to do anything wrong.
Even though I'd like to know what I have done wrong. Wink

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Just wondering. Where you have literally USERNAME in that section you quoted and said was copied to htaccess, did it subsitute your real actual username? The documentation says:

"USERNAME will be your username and the path may be different"

and I'm just wondering if you copied literally the string "USERNAME" in, maybe it can't find your staccess file. Your error logs might show something on file not found also to indicate this.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote

No, I have checked the .htaccess file again and I put in the correct code. The part I quoted was out of the tutorial. I replaced the the lines of course. If you have no other idea then I'll try to replace the edited files with the original ones with were in the RavenNuke pack. Thanks anyways. Wink

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote

Sorry for double post. I have replaced the modified .htaccess file with the original rn.htaccess. After that I still had the same problem.
I delete the NukeSentinel module and replaced it with the original one. The problem was still there. I can't log in as admin.
Maybe I must delete something in the database? I checked it and there is a file, or however you call these things in the database, which is named "nuke_nsnst_admins". It also says "Records" = 1".

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I dropped some NukeSentinel things in the database but I still had the problem. So I decided to re-install RavenNuke on my test site.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

After re-installing I found out what the problem was. My ".staccess" file (which is in your root) was empty. I generated a htpasswd code (http://www.phpbb.de/diverses/htpasswd.php) which I pasted in the ".staccess" file. I went to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and entered my username and password and it worked.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote

You missed a step or two in the HowToInstall. It's not complicated. It's just procedural. There is no need to goto any other site for a password. This is from the manual:

Quote:
* Change your permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess to 777.
* Place the paths to .htaccess and .staccess in the NukeSentinel(tm) Admin Control Panel.
* Select CGI Auth Access from the drop down box.
* From the NukeSentinel Admin Control Panel, select Scan For New Admins.
* Now select Admin Auth List and make sure that all admins have been assigned passwords.
* Now, you should see a link that says Build CGIAuth file. Click it. That will build your .staccess id:pass file.
* Now back in the main NS ACP, in the .staccess box, you will see a link that says CGI Auth Setup. Click it. It should produce a new window with the following information:

Save this in .htaccess:

# Start of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth
<Files .staccess>
deny from all
</Files>

<Files admin.php>

<Limit GET POST PUT>
require valid-user
</Limit>
AuthName "Restricted by NukeSentinel(tm)"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/USERNAME/public_html/.staccess
</Files>
# End of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth

USERNAME will be your username and the path may be different

* Copy and paste that into your .htaccess file.
* Change your permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess back to 666.

That is the procedure. It sounds more complicated than what it is, but hopefully the more detailed explanation was helpfu

This is where you have missed a step somehow.
* From the NukeSentinel Admin Control Panel, select Scan For New Admins.
* Now select Admin Auth List and make sure that all admins have been assigned passwords.
* Now, you should see a link that says Build CGIAuth file. Click it. That will build your .staccess id:pass file.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
but it is also a p.i.t.a. especially when you add administrators who aren't technically oriented and who get all flustered and having to remember another password and username
killing me

OffTopic If having to remember 2 id's/passwd's causes all that then I would seriously have to question their ability to administer anything, especially a website! I just don't get what the big deal is about this. When I still worked I had to login to my PC/Network every day with a company "sponsored" id/pass. Then, depending on the site I would be using there would many times be additional login procedures. So what? You do what you need to do for security. A little thing like 1 additional layer that secures your site many time over should not even be questioned, let alone avoided, because of whiners. This is, of course, just my opinion. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic