Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
starsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote

hi
On a new install with a new host, I was having trouble installing rwsRavenNuke76_v2.02.02_FULL I tried evrything, but still no joy. I used the hosts support ticket system, and after a few lenghy notes backa nd forth i was told the htaccess was the wrong file format and he suggested removing it to install. Now at this point I will say I ama complete novice with all things web, but this my forth site that I have published using Nuke in verious versions. Well I removed as suggested and sure enough the site got up and under way. Here is the but, I am having terrible trouble getting some addons to work, example coppermine, cannot get the install to work, but i had uploaded it a few days earlier to another site with no hassle. now my questions. Is this correct about removing htaccess file? What effect will it have? And I have looked in the original zipped file of your nuke and that is showing as a Dreamweaver openned file. even though I have not even looked at it. so how do I convert it to the file format it needs to be?
Long one sorry!!

Tao_Man
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote

.htaccess should just be a flat text file, load and save with notepad, or better yet a good text editor then upload by FTP in ascii mode and you shuldn't have any problems with file format. If you have problems uploading it in ascii you can rename it htacccess.txt then remane it once it is uploaded. The thing to remember is you can not edit it in word or any word process program it needs to be just regular text.

I do not use copermine but for most programs/addons not having a .htaccess file should not be a problem. Nuke will work without it. It just adds another layer of security.

starsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Thx for your help and a quick responce to thx again

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Some of the photo album tools do actually require the use of the .htaccess file to override certain host set parameters (i.e., overriding settings in php.ini). Not sure on coppermine, but do know that Gallery needed this for some features to work.

Can't believe your host does not allow you to use .htaccess. Sorry to say, but I'd dump them...

starsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote

Sorry if you misunderstood or I phrased it badly, but my host suggested because I was having trouble publishing Nuke to remove htaccess, there was not a problem with them disallowing it.. But one thing I have found is you get what you pay for from hosts. With this host who will remain nameless I got 2 years hosting 2 MySQl db's plus a free domain name. For less than the cost of my previous host for one year nwithout db's and domain, However the cost comes with newbies like me where I do not have the knowledge and hope there support will be that, supportive! These guys have been less than helpfull and in fact try and create barriers by being technical and making me feel an idiot, which of course I am as you will see by this thread.
It seems there is a good community here that help experienced and people like me who just play with the web.
Again I thank you for being supportive!!!

montego

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote

No problem. Anytime. And, most important: Welcome! Yes, I believe we DO have a good community going here thanks to Raven. He started it all!

starsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote

I give up with this d*** thing!!! All I want is a site that works with a forum and a Gallery the gallery being important as I like to mess about with Poser images. Being honest I do not know what I am doing and now my blood pressure is hitting the roof.
I have tried to sort out this .htaccess by using two text editors (Crimson editor and Textpad as suggested byu our great sage Raven), and everytime I upload the file via FTP (using ACE ftp) and try to enter site I get an error message indicating that the site is down and have to remove it again, so I do not know if the htaccess file is the reason I cannot get Coppermine to work.
I have not long come out of hospital after having part of my foot removed, so the morphine makes me a little slow in thinking but not that slow!!! You have to laugh as this is meant to be my way of relaxing and getting better...lol Instead I am becoming a nervious wreck.. Any help would be appreciated as it is stopping me doing what I want to be doing ..
Going for a coffee, another shot of morphine and I am stepping outside to hit my head against a wall....Thank God for a forum to let off steam!!!

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote

starsky - If no one reponds in the meantime, please PM me your site info;
domain
ftp log-in
cpanel (or equivelant) log in - I need access to the database directly
God (nuke) account log-in - if this isnt set yet just tell me what you need it to be

I have some free time tomorrow to look at this. Please note I am in the UK so we are talking around 24 hours from the time of this post or 14:00 GMT which ever is the easiest for you to convert.

Yep, know all about morphine!!

montego

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote

starsky, are you and Guardian working on this?

I would dump ACE FTP and instead try FileZilla. It is free from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and is an excellent FTP client. Upload an empty .htaccess file to the root of your nuke installation. We need to really validate whether your host knows what the heck they are saying and make sure .htaccess really is allowed. Try forcing it to ASCII for the upload as Tao_Man mentioned. If that does not work, upload it as Binary.

starsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote

hi montego, welcome to my nightmare!!! (album title, Alice cooper I think!!)
Guardian is helping me out on this one, and hopefully he wil be able to sort it out for me/give me a clue etc.
Thanks for your advice, it has been taken onboard and stored in that small thiong I call a brain.. Second thoughts copy and paste it into a text file store on cdr store in safe place, forget where I stored it....Give up start again!!!

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote

OK I have narrowed it down.
The host does have the mod_access module installed and does support htaccess.
The problem is that, in order for htaccess to actually work, the server (module) needs to be configured so that the setting 'AllowOverride' is enabled.
Unfortunately the host has the server configured so that overrides are NOT allowed.

Uploading an empty htaccess file or commenting out the code with ## does allow access to the site but s soon as you use any directives in the htaccess file you get a 500 Server Error and if you check the server logs, you will see "directive not allowed".

Contact your host to allow Overrides or ask them for a refund (they are pretty expensive and do not offer much for the money).

montego

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote

So frustrating. We have been seeing more "host problems" in the last few months than "real" problems. What is up with these hosts? (Rhetorical question.)

starsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote

I have sent a real HEAVY email to them. I am a real novice I do not know about all this stuff you guys go on about. All I want at the end of the day is a website for my artwork.
I know that my art is not fantastic but it is a project to keep me busy while I am home with my medical prob. I enjoy creating not all this tech stuff, but I must say I admire your knowledge, and wish i had half of it!!
So to all you guys that took an interest and replied to my post, a BIG THANK YOU and keep up your good work, you guys are the only line of defence for us lesser beings..
Well done!!

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote

Let us know what happens with your host Wink

starsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote

Well here is an update guys!!
After sending the email I received an answer, which I replied to, then another, I replied to, and so on. This has all been done today. At no point have I asked for there help in setting up my site. then i receive this:

"Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately we can not help you setup your website, we can only provide you with the web hosting.
We apologise for any inconvenience this causes however this is how we provide our service."

Basically all I have asked, and I have repeated the question 3 times today to them, was... Why can I set up One site with one host without any problems with exactly the same version of Nuke and the same addons, but cannot do it here? Now to me that is a question, and every reply I have received no one has given any form of an answer.. To me its as simple as "our system does not support that" or "We only use version blah blah blah" but they still not provide an answer, only what you see in the quote above.
I give up!!!

So in answer to your question Montego " Money for nothing" Just a load of greedy B*******!!!! Thx fro reading

starsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote

Here is the latest reply

"Thanks for your query.

Safe mode can not be enabled as this would effect other customers. Having it disabled is actually an advantage to PHP as it allows increased functionallity.

The openbasedir directive is a security feature that allows only your site to open files within your site. Otherwise other sites could open your files, which of course wouldn't be a good idea."

This we new already, and it only took 19 emails to get that answer. It would just be nice if the advertising gave a hint of what will run on hosts so that lesser beings like me do not throw good money away!!

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote

I don't understand the problem.... I believe phpNuke should be able to run on Safe Mode and using open_basedir just fine. As they said, safe mode is actually not enabled... and that would make it easier to run things.

The AllowOverride configuration should not affect other people

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote

I'm an fkelly come lately to this thread so I'll just throw this into the mix. If in "Gallery" you are talking about the Menalto Gallery software, it's excellent but at the same time it puts a lot of requirements on your server. If you don't have good server support and can't get questions answered from them you may not enjoy the experience once you start to load Gallery. There are a lot of file permissions that have to be set correctly and in some cases you may need someone with root access to do it for you and if that takes 18 emails you might be not so happy.

starsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote

Hi fkelly.
It was Coppermine, I had no problem putting it on another site only a couple of weeks earlier. All I know is I am being hit out of the park by a host that is being unhelpful.
I mean 19 emails to get a straight answer.

@evaders99
hi my friend welcome to my little moan. As I said earlier in my thread i do not understand all the techno stuff, all i wanted was a plain Nuke site with a Gallery and calender function.

So it looks like its back to Flash to build from scratch and lose the versatility that Nuke offers!!

Thanks guys!!

evaders99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote

Get a new host.. Gallery and calendar should function on most good hosts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic