Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP
ThePiston
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote

I have this code in the beginning of my "edithome" function of "Your Account" index.php file
Code:
$sql = "select u.user_id, u.name, o.user_id, o.offname, o.add1, o.add2, o.city, o.state, o.zip, o.phone, o.fax FROM nuke_users u, offices o WHERE username='$check'";
Shouldn't that only pull those specific data points from the DB where username = "whoever the cookie is set to"? Right now, it pulls info from all members and not just the specific "username" from cookie. I tried to use WHERE userID='$check', but Igot an error.

PS - i know NOTHING about PHP, I am pretty much cutting and pasting my way around this problem and now I'm stuck....

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Not the way it is written. This has nothing at all to do with PHP. It is an SQL issue. When you join 2 tables and you do not cross reference the two tables by a common column, you wil get what is called a Cartesian join, or all members from both tables that match any of the criteria. You are matching the username to $check but I can't see where you are matching the users table to the office table. You need to do something like

where u.username='$check' and u.SOMEFIELD=o.SOME_OTHERFIELD;

ThePiston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote

d***! i knew this would be harder than I thought. What's the best "SQL and PHP for dummies" book?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I have had great luck with the "Bible" series of books such as "The Javascript Bible" and "PHP and mySQL Bible", etc... never had a bad book from this series.

Regards,
montego

ThePiston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote

I havn't learned code since Apple II... it's addictive and I have a new bidness and a new baby on the way... could be trouble.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Yup, you are in trouble! I can say that from experience, however, I've been coding in one form or the other for over 20 years... and, yes, it is very addictive!

Don't worry, the Baby and wife will "help" you with the priorities... Laughing

montego

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP

View next topic
View previous topic