Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6
tangoman
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote

Can someone plese help me understand what the date 'configuration' in the personal account/My profile settings is all about here?

It is currently defaulted to: D M d, Y g:i a

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote

Are you asking how it is used in phpnuke or what the syntax is?

tangoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote

Hi Raven,

Ultimately I am asking what the current syntaxt 'stands for'/represents, in order I can make it a little clearer to registered users in their account settings, thus they can adjust it accordingly.

Howevr, after reading the PHP Website, (http://uk2.php.net/date), about 5 time now, I do believe that I now understand.

Please would you confirm that in a users account, under 'Personal Information' and in the 'Forums Date format' files, the following is true:

The characters input, (i.e. D M d, Y g:i a), each represent part of the time and date structure.

Therefore if the current characters in the field are 'D M d, Y g:i a', circa the time of THIS posting, this would display as:

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:08 am ....correct?

I think this is not so much 'a little too complicated' for a user to understand, moreover they won't/don't need or want to have to worry about such technicalities, when all they want to do is use the website they have signed up to use.

For this reason, I am wondering why a more simpler, user friendly configuration method is not used, (i.e. Maybe muti-choice, using radio buttons or drop down menu)?...Is there such an upgrade or option?

If their is not, I think I will simply create a textural example, akin to my observations above.

Last edited by tangoman on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total 
sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote

This simple hack greatly improves the time display [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
so that once it is set in the users preferences for the forums it stays the same for news posts.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The characters input, (i.e. D M d, Y g:i a), each represent part of the time and date structure. Therefore if the current characters in the field are 'D M d, Y g:i a', circa the time of THIS posting, this would display as:

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:08 am ....correct?
Correct

Quote:
I think this is not so much 'a little too complicated' for a user to understand, moreover they won't/don't need or want to have to worry about such technicalities, when all they want to do is use the website they have signed up to use.
Agreed

Quote:
For this reason, I am wondering why a more simpler, user friendly configuration method is not used, (i.e. Maybe muti-choice, using radio buttons or drop down menu)?...Is there such an upgrade or option?
Not to my knowledge. This is the first time ever that I remember anyone commenting on it. It's never been a priority, obviously, for that reason.

Quote:
If their is not, I think I will simply create a textural example, akin to my observations above.
Go for it

tangoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote

Thanks Raven....It is sometime nice to know when one is able to 'sing from the same hyme sheet', without 'wading in waters too deep'. Cheers

RavensScripts

tangoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote

This is weird.

When I first created my website, I also created a test registered user account.

I note than the default setting for the users account, under 'Personal Information' and the 'Forums Date format' field was:

D M d, Y g:i a

However I now see that new users have the default setting:

Y-m-d, H:i:s

I am not sure if it is related directly, but the settings in the 'Preferences' 'Local Time Format:' is en_US

Also in the PHPBB General Configuration section, the 'Date Format' field is set to:

D M d, Y g:i a

What gives?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote

I haven't played around with this that much - you can probably figure it out by trying different combinations of settings in Nuke admin preferences, Forum administration, and CNB YA configuration...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6

View next topic
View previous topic