Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes
CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote

Error: "You are trying to access a restricted area."

For a year or so, I've seen and heard of this from a few users and in some nuke forums. I had been thinking it had to be a cookie issue, some browser security setting. On my site, the problem is rare and I couldn't believe the stories that this was some instantaneous error ... until this morning when it happened to my site admin, on a notebook, sitting across the room.

She was logged in as user and admin and creating the second or third calendar entry today, just like she'd been doing, almost daily, for months. Suddenly, while clicking to access a dataform, the system logged her off and sent the message "You are trying to access a restricted area." It was the same for all modules. Attempting further logins, both as user and admin, seemed to get her into the system with a short form from Your Account but still Anonymous is in the Who's Online Block. There isn't any login, doing anything takes her back to the Your Account login page.

webserver Sys Info
php-nuke 6.9 with lots of patches and mods, but not recently
Operating system Linux
Kernel version: 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
Apache version 1.3.33 (Unix)
PERL version 5.8.0
PHP version 4.3.11
MySQL version 4.0.24-standard

User Sys Info
Win XP Home, IE Browser
Wireless to Router

What I've done to attempt a fix.

2. Deleted IE cookies and files and reduced all IE security and privacy in browser to the lowest level. Disk and Cache cleanup.
-No solution.

1. Searched forums (this started long before this morning's event... other website users are having the same issue) .. leading to a lot of posts without real helpful info, broken links, etc. There was something about nsn YA 6.5 but it was vague.
- no solution

3. Installed Firefox
- it works, a solution of sorts. But, my site admin doesn't like firefox, too slow.

She can login without problem on my Win2K desktop. So, it would seem to follow that the problem isn't on the webserver. Or is that a wrong assumption?

I've scoured nuke_session and nuke_user tables for anomalies... not found anything useful there. Could there be data corruption?

Is there any way to beat XP and IE back into submission, to make it work once again with phpnuke? Reformat with Win2K comes to mind, but perhaps there is something less drastic to attempt?

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote

First of all, FireFox is much faster than IE so I don't know how/where she comes up with that Smile

I would say that it is definitely a cookie related issue as that's how nuke determines if you're logged in or not. And the fact that FF works and IE does not even more seems to isolate it. You have done all that I can think to do. Try this as a last resort.

- Close all browser sessions
- Right click on the IE icon and choose Properties
- Under Temporary Internet File, verify that plenty of space is allocated and then click OK
- Delete ALL cookies
- Flush the cache
- Save and exit
- Reboot PC WITHOUT opening any browser sessions

See if it still happens.

CodyG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote

I understand reboot, but after reboot one needs to open a browser session, right?

Anyways, it still happens, still not logged in and an url of [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I've been working with the security and privacy settings in IE, setting safe sites, overriding automatic cookie handling and allowing all cookies. And I've cleared the cache of files and cookies and rebooted after each failed attempt to login.

She can't access her phpnuke 7.5 site either (no customizing was done on that site), same problem, a url that seems to recognize her (except anonymous shows in the Who's Online Block), but ultimately access is denied. In admin mode the administration menu is visible but clicking any link gets her logged out.

Something's going on with XP and IE on her machine. The hd was formatted a couple of months ago. Could the o/s be corrupted so soon? I wonder if the june 14th XP update could have hard changed security settings in IE ... it doesn't make sense. "Allow all cookies" should work, but is is not working with nuke sites. I don't believe there is an problem with her logging into her Yahoo account.

I am quite befuddled with this issue so thank you very much for helping me sort it out.

One thing I haven't tried is logging into a phpnuke site that isn't on my webserver.
A bit later... From her machine (with security and privacy settings all at low and a clean cache) I tried to login to my account on ravenphpscripts.com and that didn't work either. So I created a new account for her on ravenphpscripts.com. No activation email after 10 mins or so, odd. Could this be related to the cookie problem?

Sfinxs
Client

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote

I don't know if this is similar.... but a member from my site who visits quite frequently just told me he could no longer login. Everyone else seems to login fine but he says everytime he logs in, it still say he's not. He check his status and it still says he's offline. He's been using my site for a few months now but this just started happening last week.

txhellkat138

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote

OK i have a dumb question. I am havin the issue where it works with firefox but not with ie as well. I have seen on some sites where when you load it, it tells you to download the cookie to view the site properly i.e i used to have a website on everquest that i ran and a certain part of the site gave you the option to download the cookie so you could just be logged in from your ip when you returned. Would something like this be possible and if so how easy/complicated would it be to implement such a thing i would think you could upload it to your site and set it to auto download or promt the download instantly but im not a programmer so i wouldnt know how to do it myself but it sounds feesible if somoene is willing to do it ::wink wink::: Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote

That sounds like an issue with your browser settings for cookies. That would be where you would make that adjustment, imo.

Last edited by Raven on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total 
txhellkat138

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote

i set it as low as it would go on ie even followed your suggestion a the top and out of ever thing i have read on here that was posted by you that was the only one that hasnt worked so i figured if that one wouldt work then i couldnt do anything about it other than force all my users to get firefox which wont happen unfortnately

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote

If you use IE to access my site, does it work correctly?

txhellkat138

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Ya oddly enough it works fine on every other php site i have gone to just not mine for some reason works on my firefox but really slow on firefox (which perplexes me greatly being a fedora core 3 mozilla junkie) i just realized that just beore i got this post. I can view any other nuke site with the greatest of ease.

Edit: OK i changed a few things like changiing
Header("Location: modules.php
to
Header("Refresh: 0;url=modules.php
and now it works with ie on the accept all cookies setting
what do i need to change to get it to run with IE on the normal security setting?

Edit2: Ok so i got it figured out down to its a 3rd party cookie issue because i am hosting it and going through a router using No-ip.com my question is would it be as simple as going to the static routing feature of my linksys and taking the no-ip part out of the equation or do i go to my isp and ask em for a static ip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic