Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP
djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote

Although this has nothing todo with PHP Designer, it is an important issue to tell.

Ok there's a serious problem if you upgrade to PHP 4.3.10 with the arrays and the functionality of foreach().
When i tried to report the bug it seems someone already reported issue and it's pretty serious. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Our server didn't have ZendOptimizer upgraded to 2.5.7 but just had 2.5.1 while cpanel was saying i needed to upgrade PHP 4.3.9 to 4.3.10

I did find this option in SSH to update Zend: /scripts/installzendopt

However ZendOptimizer is pretty useless when the PHP files are not encoded since it doesn't make your pages that much faster.
There's no way i pay kaching!$ to encode all PHP files for some useless optimizer.

So to get rid of all annoyences end useless mem usage of ZendOptimizer just open your php.ini and place a ";" before each line that has "zend" in it.
Then restart apache and you should always have a nicely working server without the annoyences of Zend

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote

4.3.10 has introduced several bugs. It appears they were a bit hasty in trying to get it out the door. I would advise everyone to just wait for 4.3.11

Last edited by Raven on Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total 
64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote

I don't understand why you simply wouldn't update to Zend 2.5.7. I mean, it's free and as the bug report reply points out, updating Zend solves the problem.

My only other comment is that while the offered solution to comment Zend out may be fine for localhost situations where you are hosting only your own work, it is not viable in a shared or dedicated hosting situation where other scripts or applications may rely on Zend for optimization.

I can't speak for exactly how much improvement anyone will see by utilizing Zend in non-encoded pages situations; however, I would simply comment that my personal feeling is any improvement in performance is a good thing.

djmaze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote

cpgnuke.com is dedicated server and the additional speed increase ZO does on the Dragonfly CMS is 0.001 second so why keep ZO active ?

I do understand that if people run buggy and crappy code they do need ZO.
But the facts are there:

ZO increases the speed of PHP3 coded files about 25% and PHP4 files around 9% in a heavy traffic enviornment with huge php functions.
MMCache is better and compresses + stores PHP files in memory and the speed increase could be 10 times (0.3 to 0.03)

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Funny thing is both are free but to get the benefits of ZO you have to buy ZE. But ZO is installed on virtually every server that has php.

MMC is free requires no high cost software to use and isn't.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Branding, my son, branding.

TAd
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote

I hear you all, the only reason I have Zend installed on my server is for my billing program, ModernBill, now I could go with Ioncube. It was a split Zecond decision if you know what I mean Smile

I have been notified to a PHP 5.03 update on my server and have been reading up, I will have to update a few things, and am hoping that any bugs that are preent get corrected in a relatively quick manner.

Thank you all for the heads up, I am just going to sit and wait, and hopefully everyone else will update and I can learn form thier mistakes!

Rule #1: If it ain't broke do not be the first to fix it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP

View next topic
View previous topic