Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
protocool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Ive got 7.6 installed with Sentinel 2.1.2 and chatserv patch 2.8. For some reason, whenever someone tries to sign up, they don't recieve the confirmation email. However it does work if you use an email address created using cpanel on my domain... well... subdomain. Any external emails other than tho host server, dnt recieve their activation email.

Any Ideas if this can be fixed? Or is this just a server issue?
Thanks in advance.

TheosEleos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote

I helped someone a couple of weeks ago with this same issue. It was his host doing it.

Are you new to this host? Have you had success with other applications such as stand alone phpbb?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Just recently got the site hosted, so I guess I am kinda new to the host. Well, I tried installing the phpBB seperately, and the same thing happened. Only domain email addresses were sent activation emails.
Hope you can help.

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote

You need to contact your host and find out what the deal is.

I recommend changing to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] for best hosting.

Yes, same Raven as right here. This has been my best hosting experience ever.

protocool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote

Okay, I have done some research, and found:

"Be sure to enable SMTP Authentication in your E-mail client or you may not be able to send mail."

Knowing this, I managed to configure the SMTP settings for the standalone phpBB in the configuration, and got it working. But how do I specify SMTP settings for Phpnuke?

Thanks again.

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote

Go into your nuke forums admin and do the same settings there.

protocool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote

I tried that, im guessing that only works for emails sent through phpBB only (like group changes etc) and not PHPNuke, and therefore, PHPNuke doesn't send the activation emails.

Is there any files that I can change so that sendmail function in PHPNuke sends emails using the smtp or pop3 server?
Thanks.

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 am Reply with quote

I just tried an experiment and the sending of emails for watching threads works comes out of the forums side. I don't know how to change nuke to use smtp.

protocool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:40 am Reply with quote

Can I temporarily disable the requirement of email activation, so that their account is automatically activated on signup. This probably is not the ideal way to sort things out, but thats all I can do I guess.

Is there any other way to send emails through a name server instead of the local mail function.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote

It wouldn't be too hard to hard-code in a SMTP email send routine for Nuke's new user reg, but you would need to already know quite a bit about PHP to pull it off. There are hacks floating around to disable email activation, and even without a specific hack, that'd be really simple to bypass. Lastly, I think the real solution for you (if your phpBB SMTP is working well) is to convert over to Forums registration instead of using Nuke. That will require the least hacks (maybe even none) and will only require you to change the registration URLs.

PHrEEk

Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] most of the hacks I've noticed use phpmailer no sense reinventing the wheel. Should be semi easy as the mail() function is a pretty small bit of code to replace.

protocool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about PHP, so I wouldn't have that much of a good idea to know what code to change... Is there any chance that you guys can help?

Thanks.

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote

protocool wrote:
Can I temporarily disable the requirement of email activation, so that their account is automatically activated on signup. This probably is not the ideal way to sort things out, but thats all I can do I guess.

Is there any other way to send emails through a name server instead of the local mail function.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

You have two options. Raven has an autoactivation hack in the downloads. If you don't find one for your version of nuke do a search in the forums for 'auto activation hack' and you will probably find something for your version of nuke.

Your second option is what I would recommend. Install CNB YA (YA stands for Your_Account). It is a great replacement for the standard Your Account module and it lets you disable email registration among other things. The support for it is right here in these forums.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic