Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6
HauntedWebby
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote

With all these new versions of PhpNuke always coming out, just how does one keep up?

I mean most of us have modified our sites somewhat and to upgrade means to redo the modifications. Is it really worth it?

Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote

No, it isn't.

Sometimes I wish I was running 7.5 just because of how the admin modules have changed and seem to make sense. Besides that I don't see the point.

I just finished doing some pretty involved mods so it will be forever before I upgrade again.

Maybe around 8.3 or so....

Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Almost all the mods I have done to my site involve the forums. Which I update manually when the new version of phpbb come out. Other than sentinel, I haven't really changed any of the core files. So I just upload away when the new patched version comes out. In 7.6 you are able to use a custom_file thing so you really don't have to edit most to the core files anymore. You can put the additions there.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Things I do to make updates easier.
Never install forum mods period.
Use modules when ever possible (Not hacks to default modules).

Download updated phpnuke files upload all the files except ones which I have replaced with custom modules. Compare custom modules to updated files make changes as needed to continue to work safely with new phpnuke versions.

Buy Beyond Compare! If you run more then one phpnuke site it is well worth the money. There are others but none make comparisions on a directory by directory basis as well and simple as Beyond Compare.

HauntedWebby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote

What's Beyond Compare?

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Its a file comparison utility for windows that can make a complete binary comparision of directory tree's in a side by side window. Which makes merging updates with your heavily modified sites files a breeze.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6

View next topic
View previous topic