Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6 Bugs/Fixes
hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:54 am Reply with quote

well the should ship fb to iraq...

irandoct
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote

Good idea!
but what about next releases? He will rename the php-nuke to BOMB !

irandoct

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote

Yes, Finaly I have provided a patch for PHP-Nuke 7.6 . This patch is based o­n Chatserv patch 2.6 . You can get it here at my website : [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote

I don't gonna support 7.6 in any way i've made my point clear by starting this topic.
7.6 has so much holes.

I already dropped supporting at nukecops.com due to their lack of experience and knowledge.

People here have the knowledge and experience but it's hard to keep up with each and every new exploit FB creates.

The 7.6 is my final draw, however i will keep posting any exploit i find but no solution from my side.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:45 pm Reply with quote

im sure fb is laughing his ass of and counting his money he gets from idiots who pays for his "release"..

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Yes he is and I think that is the problem with the charging for downloading. If there was value added to the script and support it would be the best bargain around. But since there is little of one and none of the other it merely continues to exist.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote

well as i said a long time ago,phpnuke has a big problem and that is....its overdeveloped.
it already has reached the top long ago.
after that it went down the hill...

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it overdeveloped, but rather just the opposite.

Overdeveloped doesn't equal poor coding, which is the case here. In fact Nuke would be well served by it being recoded entirely to be with todays standards. Features are fine, poorly coded features are something entirely different.

The real death of PHP-Nuke will be when PHP5 and/or MySQL 4.1 become widely implemented. This coupled with CSS and XHTML standards will be the final straw that breaks the weak back of Nuke's outdated methodologies which cannot survive in the bright light of standards compliance enforcement by PHP, MySQL or the desires of users that want valid CSS and XHTML based solutions.

Given that PHP-Nuke out of the box isn't CSS valid (a complete joke) and has no chance in hell of being XHTML compliant without a complete rewrite, I don't userstand why ANYONE supports new PHP-Nuke releases as they fail to address any core fundamental issues that face the application.

I would agree that Chatserv and others should draw the line somewhere and say "enough is enough", and further saying, "We'll fix THIS code but THEN, any new releases that come out with new featured revisions must be BASED on THAT now fixed code."

I find it absolutely rediculous that there needs to be a "Patched" solution for each version, when in fact there should only be one for the FIRST version that had the problems, and then the NEXT version should be based on those fixes as the new baseline. Re-patching the same problems 1000 times over is crazy and it should reveal to everyone just how poor FB is at coding. Further that he has no interest in fixing (or for that matter even addressing) his own serious coding problems... nevermind bugs.

Nuke needs to either evolve (which cannot happen without a CVS / Sourceforge type of concerted effort where everyone is one the same page) or the major contributors need to create a new solution. CPG-Nuke is doing a lot in this regard and I think Raven is still thinking about a new CMS/Portal as well. I can only emphasize that if the major players put their efforts elsewhere instead of supporting this dead-end solution, everyone would be better served including those persons themselves who would at LEAST get credit for their contributions.

Nuff said.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote

well ive said most of these things almost 2 years ago and people thought i was crazy.........

Anubis_The_Jackal
Court Jester

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote

and thats why im going to CPG. slowly. I dont want to go to 9 because they dropped phpbb...

Well lets see...

500+ bugs 4,000,000$ in repairs
100's of vulnerabilities not explored 2,000,000$
20 people killed from stress: Priceless

For some things money cant but, for other use Nuke 7.6.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes we are caught between the rock and the hard place. I originally started this website to help people with PHP in general. Then, I saw so many people getting ripped off with hosting that I took it upon myself to try to find a way to provide great hosting and support at a reasonable price. I work on a very thin profit margin. That's ok. I never intended it otherwise. The phpnuke support could be and often seems like a full time job. So, do I (and others) abandon the support for the many that come here and at other places? Are there better products? Of course. But then what happens to the many who like the ease of phpnuke and need support? There are many here that have been with me for most of the 2.5 years that I have been hanging on the Internet. Many got their feet wet with PHP because of my KISGB (guestbook). I'm droning on here, but my point is this: It is frustrating to try to keep up with it all. But, I originally installed v6.5 and eventually upgraded to v6.9 and have no intentions of changing. I have secured to the best of my knowledge. In that regard, all the bugs that came in the later releases never phase me. With phpnuke, you should wait for several months until the bugs that you can depend on will be there upon release, will be fixed.

Last edited by Raven on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total 
64bitguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote

LOL... Just Like Microsoft.

Anubis_The_Jackal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote

"We dont steal it till you want it"
and
"We dont fix it we patch it to fix it again"

karakas
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:53 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Are there better products? Of course.

I see the frustration again. And I see all the pain of the question: to fork or not to fork?

But as long as me, you or anybody else who could make a fork does not do it or does not help in a project like that, this question is going to haunt us again and again...sigh.

CanPanther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote

Pardon me for throwing my hat into this, but I have been watching all of this with great interest. I am new on the scene and this is my 1st post. I have just been doing some research, and have been watching from the sidelines so I am just wondering about a couple of things.

You guys seem to be skating around an obvious thread and I was just wondering why. Everyone seems to have high praise for CPG-Nuke, although the lack of modules and phpbb is a recurring theme. Since you guys are the ones who write the mods, and coupled with your own stated respect for the script, both for it's security and support, is it really worth the effort to fork when there already seems to be a solution that just needs better mods. They could be provided a lot easier.

I realize the desire to shape and guide a project of this size has a great deal of appeal and it makes a statement to FB and the whole PHP-Nuke community itself but, with a viable alternative already out there, is it wise to add another nuke to an already crowded field? Please feel free to correct if I am wrong, but I believe a lot of you already know a few of CPG-Nuke's developers and know what they are capable of and have been watching the development of CPG closely. 7.6 seems to have been a big flop everywhere I look. I would think that, together, everyone here could really compliment CPG-Nuke and bring alot of enhancements to it, just as you already do for PHP-Nuke.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone was considering actually switching because of everything that has been happening. If you are more interested in forking from PHP-Nuke, I am also interested in knowing why you would prefer to go that route instead of switching to CPG. I realize it may just come down to a sense of loyalty both to PHP-Nuke itself and to the users who need the support but, as a new user to the nuke world, this kind of thread doesn't make me feel very confident about PHP-Nuke. Confused

Any help would be appreciated. Thx!

Anubis_The_Jackal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote

they like at least trying to help nuke, but this 7.6 is the worst I have ever seen. I am still on 7.3, and i dont thinks im changing any time soon...

DaveTomneyUK
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote

Would using something like a define fix this bug? Something like.

config.php
Code:

define('ADMIN_FILE', true);

I'm using Nuke7.6 the patched version of telli but I noticed the code at the top is still the same in authors.php

Code:

global $prefix, $db, $admin_file;
if (!eregi("".$admin_file.".php", $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'])) { die ("Access Denied"); }

64bitguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure what bug you are talking about. I'm assuming that you're posting that in the wrong forum thread.

DaveTomneyUK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote

On the first post that DJMaze posted stating the admin/modules/authors.php?admin_file=authors exploit can be fixed by using define code

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

If you are more interested in forking from PHP-Nuke, I am also interested in knowing why you would prefer to go that route instead of switching to CPG.

The license restrictions forced on third party authors is my primary concern. Someday maybe I decide to spend some time and write a really great addon and want to charge money for it. Under the restrictions I can only use the same GNU/GPL 2 license which only allows me to charge for distribution and anyone who chooses to can take my script and offer it to the world free or charge or for a fee if they desire.

I'm all for the spirit of Open Source and enjoy contributing in what ever small way I can. But I would also like to think that if I dedicate myself to a particular addon project of my own and it is in demand that I might also choose to distribute it under a more protected license. One that would both protect my right to charge money to license and intellectual property not be duplicated so to speak. So I'm looking for a none fork solution to be involved with and am hoping to see PHP-Portal develop into just such a solution. All forked solutions are subject to the license choosen by the original authors.

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly and I am trying.

Mesum
Useless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
Quote:

If you are more interested in forking from PHP-Nuke, I am also interested in knowing why you would prefer to go that route instead of switching to CPG.

The license restrictions forced on third party authors is my primary concern. Someday maybe I decide to spend some time and write a really great addon and want to charge money for it. Under the restrictions I can only use the same GNU/GPL 2 license which only allows me to charge for distribution and anyone who chooses to can take my script and offer it to the world free or charge or for a fee if they desire.

I'm all for the spirit of Open Source and enjoy contributing in what ever small way I can. But I would also like to think that if I dedicate myself to a particular addon project of my own and it is in demand that I might also choose to distribute it under a more protected license. One that would both protect my right to charge money to license and intellectual property not be duplicated so to speak. So I'm looking for a none fork solution to be involved with and am hoping to see PHP-Portal develop into just such a solution. All forked solutions are subject to the license choosen by the original authors.

Double standards if you ask me, while they preach about how they are all about open source and will not support any commercial add-on (and they don't) one of their main coder is selling theme for CPG-Nuke for $50, I saw the news posted right on their main page.

Mesum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Well I guess that's what made Burnwave starting his own CMS too. BTW, you guys don't hangout or talk too often? as from my understanding he used to be a part of old NSN and then moved to his own, has created many great add-ons and the last one was his shopping cart.

Edit: I for one have planned not to use any later version than 7.5 unless the hell is about to break loose.

chatserv
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

djmaze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote

To mesum and sixonetonoffun:

GPL allows payment for add-ons because it's not part of the program itself.
However since the add-on interacts with GPL and can't work without it is a "borderline case"
read here

CPG-Nuke 9.0 has an new core and that core has an note attached for all developers who want to make their own add-ons under a different license and/or even want money for it.

GPL allows you to have such note and the note is in the benefit for everyone.
It also allows you to package your modifications under a different license with CPG-Nuke but doesn't allow you to distribute it as an derivative work.
read here

This is all well thought and it took me 2 days to find it out and how it affects the project.

This is another step forward and brings developers another step forward (including ourselves)

Secondly we are closely watching the GPL3 and attach it to the project in future to prevent property claims (software patents).

I don't go in detail here because it's appropiate.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6 Bugs/Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic