Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes
64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote

Hi folks

If you've been using Nuke and/or phpBB forums with Firefox (or in some cases Mozilla or Netscape) you've probably discovered by now that you can't use BB Coding functions by highlighting text and selecting any of the normal options that you see on the menu to Bold, Italicize, or underline text, never mind wrapping text in quote, code or other normal posting functions like urls or images.

Highlighting content and selecting any BB Coding function in forums with these browsers instead turns out to be a total problem as the functions you choose instead end up all alone at the end of your posts.

Just so you know, the problem is not a Firefox or other browser problem, it's a BB Code problem with the design of phpBB forums and as a result with PHP-Nuke and all forks. In a nutshell, the code was written for Internet Explorer and fails to include Gecko compatible text editing functions.

Well, thankfully there is a work-around until the folks at phpBB get a clue.

The handy little add-on is called simply the BBCode add-in (for Firefox/Mozilla Suite/Netscape 7.x.) and it works great.

In a nutshell, what it does is add a new right click menu option that allows you to do everything that you would normally do with the editing menu options, PLUS it even supports Smilies! That's right; use it anywhere inside any post and voila! Problem solved!

You can get this great addition at: http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=128&vid=870

I know this will help everyone get the most out of using Firefox and other Gecko browsers!

Please don't forget to write to the author and explain how great you think this tool really is and how you heard about it!

Enjoy!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:40 am Reply with quote

Thanks for this helpful post, Steph!

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Don't forget [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] for those of us whose spelling is less then perfect!

ozbutcher
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote

bugger!! sadly the link to this no longer works with the latest version of mozilla.

here is a update to a version that still works: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

however I can't get it to work... because my right mouse click has been disabled by nuke.

xGSTQ
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote

if your running version 2

both of those links [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

and [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

arnt supported

lol ozbutcher I can't get it to work... because my right mouse click has been disabled by nuke.

Thats in your theme files matey

ozbutcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote

yeah I realise they aren't supported but at least it works Smile

I'll try and find out how to enabled the last click again thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic