Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke / Raven CMS CMS Wiki
neo722712
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote

Is there going to be a way to import posts from a Wordpress site ?

Thanks

Neo722712

Last edited by neo722712 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total 
Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote

I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel, though there are some big modules yet to be done like HTML Newsletter, Groups and Your Account.
We don't have any plans to provide import scripts from Wordpress or other systems (apart from RavenNuke(tm) of course) as it would probably take a serious amount of time given that we would need to extract all the data from Wordpress and then synch it to the RaveCMS(tm) user account tables, News module and news category tables, user comments and Survey/Polls tables, plus converting any dates/timestamps.
Of course, it is something we could look at in the future but I think we would need some serious convinving that it was worth the time investment and even then I couldn't see it happening until after our initial release.

nextgen
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote

I for one am very excited about the release and i find myself doing themes for 2.5x just to do them. As well as tinkering with the forum layouts to make them look more clean and unique. Maybe by the years end we will be rewarded the next level of the CMS. Thanks for the updates. Is there a site to keep up on issues, completion level etc, like github etc ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote

We don't have a Github account because we don't want unfinished code in the public arena. It is something we could consider after the initial release but that is something that needs to be decided by the team.
Sadly, there has not been much posted here about the progress of work and for me personally, I have only been posting on the RavenCMS(tm) FB page [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I do have a couple of hours free tomorrow, so I will try my best to write a post (both here and on FB) to bring everyone up to date with the progress so far.

neo722712

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote

POST FROM YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE

Raven CMS
July 16 at 6:54am ·
Topics module completed.

Raven CMS
July 16 at 4:12am ·
Seems I'm on a roll today - Tag Cloud module also completed.
Though to be fair, there wasn't much that needed to be done with this module.

Raven CMS Facebook Page

tourniqu3t
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote

What is Raven currently working on now?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote

I finally got around to doing the short write-up I promised. Sorry for the delay but it was hard to find the time to type when I could have used that time to write code - plus the wife insisted on dragging me to England for almost 2 weeks and hide my laptop Sad

This is just a brief summary;
New user API created and integrated.
PHPInputValidator modified and integrated to ensure we have a common method to validate user supplied data and the type of data.
This also includes integration of HTMLPurifier to validate any HTML supplied by the user.
New AntiSpam Class to help detect and filter spam from user supplied data (configuration via the admin dashboard), which can be integrated into your own modules.
New Error handler with multiple options to deal with both PHP and SQL errors.
New Pagination handler to ensure a simple method to handle pagination of data which you can integrate into your own modules.
New Configuration class to provide a consistent method to handle configuration settings of various modules (also includes the ability to cache these settings
to minimise SQL look-ups).
New Header handler to provide maximum flexibility for character support (default is UTF-Cool, left to right and right to left languages, meta tags as well as dynamically loading
CSS, Javascript and other good stuff.

There are 17 brand new user themes including one basic theme you can use to create your own unique theme. All themes utilise Twitter Bootstrap.
It should be noted that old themes will need extensive modifications to work with RavenCMS and whilst we had originally wanted to provide a degree of backward compatibility for older themes, it just wasn't worth the effort as it would mean a total re-write of an old theme anyway. It would be more efficient to modify one of the themes provided, especially since we are now writing themes exclusively for HTML5 and mobile readiness.

On the subject of themes, Administration themes are now completely seperated and support what we are calling 'widgets' (similar to blocks but strictly for the administration dashboard).
Due to the flexibility this provides for providing a unique appearance of administration dashboards, we are only providing two themes. We hope this will encourage theme developers to come up with fantastic new layouts for you to enjoy.

As you can imagine, re-coding the modules has been a long process, especially with the limited amount of time the development team has had but we are fairly near to the end now.
AvantGo - removed as it's worthless.
Advertising - completed
Comments - work suspended as we might remove it.
Content - completed
Cookie - new module for EU websites that require cookie acceptance notices
Credits - to display module, theme and other Credit information
Downloads - completed
Encyclopedia - completed
FAQ - completed
Feedback - completed
Feeds - still to be done
Forums - being worked on currently and will have a Bootstrap enabled template instead of the existing subSilver
GCalendar - may be removed. Not many people seem to be using this and it needs major work. We might pull it out of the initial release to give us more time to work on it.
Groups - to be done. Work has been delayed because we really need to integrate Groups and Your Account together.
HTML Newsletter - to be done
Legal - completed
Members List - completed and Forum template dependencies are removed
News - done
Private Messaging - on hold as it uses Forum templates. We don't know what work is required until the Forums overhaul is completed
Project Tracking - was originally slated to be removed but somehow snuck it's way back in. Will most definitely be removed for initial release and depending on feedback, we'll re-write it and put it back in for a later release.
Recommend Us - to be done
Reviews - to be done
Search - completed
Sentinel - completed
Statistics - completed but needs another review to see if we can detect Microsofts new 'Edge' browser
Stories Archive - completed
Submit Downloads - completed
Surveys / Polls - completed
Tags - completed
Top 10 - completed
Topics - completed
WebLinks - currently be worked on
Your Account (with Groups integration and possibly admin account integration) - to be done

There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel but don't forget we still need to write an upgrade script because we have had to cater for PHP's new
DateTime class (all date/time stamps are stored in a specific format with UTC timezone and of course, many of the existing modules don't work that way).
And of course yet more mammoth testing sessions.

nextgen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote

thanks for the update. Sounds like a huge endeavor and the fact that you see light at the end of the tunnel is awesome.

nextgen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote

Am very excited about the themes as well. Will open up to a wider audience.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote

Spasticdonkey has done some absolutely brilliant work with the user themes. They have an insane (I think about 30) amount of different settings such as, left and right blocks stacked in the left column or right column, left and right blocks side by side on the left or side by side on the right, standard 3 column layout, fixed or fluid width header, fixed or fluid width body, fixed or fluid width footer, text or image in the header (with appropriate image selection).
Each user theme can be setup individually and of course you can set a specific theme for none registered users if you want to use a theme that is light on images etc for bots and spiders.
Although each theme is consistent in it's use of Bootstrap we hope the options out-of-the-box coupled with the different color schemes of the themes will help to ensure each website looks more unique and reduce the need to edit themes by hand.
Of course developers will no doubt go the extra mile to make their own themes truly unique but Bootstrap does help to ensure a very consistent GUI / look and feel when it comes to things like forms, presenting data etc.

nextgen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote

Agreed about the themes being more uniform etc now. With the bootstrap.min incorporated you can simply just use a single theme.css for the detailed changes. I am a huge bootstrap fan and am even a fan of Foundation by Zurb as a responsive framework as well. I still have a couple bootstrap themes fpr RN 2x but never were or are truly responsive as the time needed to redo modules etc just does not seem to make sense when RN3 is due.

I have even used just a basic grid system to try to envelope the tables that plaques RN 2x lol. Spastic shared a ton of ideas and has been a inspiration by example simply with his site. All of the little things that make his site and theme awesome.

I am very excited to be able to use and see the advances that have been made. I even love the idea of staying with phpbb2. Is familiar, friendly and now secure.

Between your (Gauradian) add ons that i have used and spastics examples i came to enjoy trying to make RN my own as much as possible.

tourniqu3t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the update too.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote

Nice, thank you for the update. Can't wait to start a installation!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003 Thanks so much for the Update , God Speed !

neo722712

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote

Will the CMS have a CHAT like FACEBOOK kind of thing ?

Plugin or Add on or Built in ...

Thanks !

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote

There will not be a Chat add-on/module - mostly because live chat type functionality has a huge impact on server load/server traffic and the majority of people used shared hosting (a lot of shared hosting providers, particularly at the cheaper end of the market prohibit chat software).

However, it is something I would like to see because it could be used for business websites as a kind of 'live support' type system and of course it would be nice for gaming community websites. Whether it would be included in a future release of RavenCMS(tm) I couldn't say BUT it would definitely be something I would like to develop as third party software if it didn't make it onto the core system.

neo722712

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
neo722712, Spasticdonkey is saying that by setting up an RSS feed, you can automatically post new stories to Facebook and Twitter (well, only to Twitter using Feedburner, but I noted other options to do both above).

You can also do this with Forum posts, downloads, weblinks and most other forms of content available on RN sites using nukeFEED.

So, not sure you you meant by "post," but I believe you can do it.

When I post to my website now , It will auto post to my Twitter and Facebook Acct as well

tourniqu3t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Is there any news?

neralex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Is there a way to change the way of using the Shortlinks for RavenCMS?

For me personally is the current using of Shortlinks in RN25x to compliated because with the years you will flood the htaccess file with to much rewrite rules and the fact that you have to create a related GT-tab file for each module is it really hard to follow.

I like the very simple way how it works in wordpress with the database-driven permalinks. Maybe you can keep an eye on it. The wordpress solution is so pretty simple.

jlajax
Ardent RavenCMS Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:

There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel but don't forget we still need to write an upgrade script because we have had to cater for PHP's new
DateTime class (all date/time stamps are stored in a specific format with UTC timezone and of course, many of the existing modules don't work that way).
And of course yet more mammoth testing sessions.

If you need any testing assistance I will help as I can.

RavensScripts RavensScripts RavensScripts RavensScripts RavensScripts RavensScripts

neo722712

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote

It is now November 6th 2015

Anything New ?

Thank you for all your time and effort

neo722712

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Just Touching Base.
December 16th 2015

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi neo722712, spasticdonkey and Guardian have been working hard on this with limited time. We are trying to spread some of the work around a bit to move things along, but it's been very slow recently. Hopefully, the holidays will afford some time to increase the pace.

Cheers!

neo722712

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Hi neo722712, spasticdonkey and Guardian have been working hard on this with limited time. We are trying to spread some of the work around a bit to move things along, but it's been very slow recently. Hopefully, the holidays will afford some time to increase the pace.

Cheers!

Thank you and Merry Christmas Everyone

Anders
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote

Hi!
Just wonder how much it's left?
Too release

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke / Raven CMS CMS Wiki

View next topic
View previous topic