Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> MySQL
bugsTHoR
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
i have a few questions for you.

i was wondering is it worth using MySQL or use the old Folder/sub-folder way for a images/PDF Docs DataBase Table/s?

I`m scanning my old Amiga Format magazines, and was wondering is there an easy way to upload all the images in sequential numbers (001-1000)in 1 go straight to a database from a specific folder/s ?

or should i go the old way // Folder/sub-folder way and have PhP /MySQL add them once uploaded to the database for easy Cataloging them ?

something along these lines
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Clanthemes.com are great (free advertisements for now until i get to 20,000 posts LoL) 
spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote

If it's images, I would check out nerelex's gallery which I believe has some options for batch uploads. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

There are days I miss my Amiga 2000 Smile Have you seen this? [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote

thanks spasticmonkey, i`ll check that out.

yes i am a member of most amiga sites HOL, AMR EAB amigaworld to name a few. 4 A1200 2 A500 and alot of the toys and boxed games Very Happy .
and my old Speckies 3 x 48k machine which im currently practicing soldering memory atm 2 ,(bad memory Sad on both or a dead ULA chip which is rocking horse poo to find these days.

back on subject
i spent most of yesterday and last night looking up PHP and MySQL for coding my own, and found there is some over head when it come to sotring IMG in a database, so was not sure which to go for.
some of my stuff Very Happy note the 48k under SKY box and the box and inerds left of TV

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote

The overhead used for storing images in MySQL is obscene, in terms of space used. Better to save just the path or filename in the database.
If you simply need to upload a ton of files and 'index' them, there are some native PHP functions you can use such as scandir(). Or look at these code snippets [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm going with Guardian in these points. Because in the batch function of my gallery i do exactly the same - list all files in a folder with scandir, copy the files from the batch-folder in the final-folders and store only the final foldername and the filename in the database. Here is the question for what do you need the entries in the db or better what should be used for the output. If you want only a list of files in a folder, then scandir should help with a little while loop and a sql insert query to store the filenames in a db-table.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote

thanks gaurdian
some reading to do when im back home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> MySQL

View next topic
View previous topic