Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
mastertech44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote

First I want to thank Raven and everyone that has been working on this version. I am somewhat familiar with using PHP Nuke Platinum, but I have not done much of anything for a few years and trying to set something up for our local radio control car club. So far I like this version and I think it will work just fine for what we need and more.

I am trying to set up a Downloads section with manuals and firmware/software. I have currently added a few categories and 1 actual file. I uploaded the file by [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I used the link Downloads/ProductManuals/Traxxas/Slash/5803_manual_091209_0.pdf where the whole link would be [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] The file validates as ok as does the filesize, but when you attempt to download either as anonymous, regular user or admin, it goes to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and you get an http 500 error. I am using the included Downloads module in RavenNuke 2.50, my host is 1and1.com with PHP 5.2.17 and the site is www.jakesraceplace.com. I can post the info from phpInfo if needed.

I would be thankful for any help with this issue. I know I gotta be doing something wrong but I don't seem to be able to figure out what. Also I would welcome any advice on the site itself. Thanks!!

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote

I would go to downloads admin - extensions
and make sure that pdf is included as a valid extension.. Not sure it's included by default. Also pretty sure you can't use relative url's and should use the absolute url (whole link). See what happens after that.

mastertech44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote

I did add the .pdf file in the Admin extensions, sorry, I forgot to mention that. It says yes for file type and no for image type. If I add the whole url, it fails the file validation and I get a message saying Sorry , 5803 Traxxas Slash Manual was not found. It could be because the person hosting the download removed or renamed the file. I get a good file validation and a blank page when trying to download the file when using the link with the [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] dropped off.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote

Montego will probably have to chime in on this, as the module may be trying to serve the file using a method that is incompatible with pdf files. I assume if you add a zip file it works ok? I don't have time to replicate atm, as I'm heading out the door, but I'll try out later when I have some time. I'm guessing the pdf extension may have been left out of Downloads for a reason.

mastertech44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote

The .pdf extension must be the problem. This was the first file I uploaded and tested. If I change the extension to .zip, it downloads fine. If possible, I would like to be able to keep the files as .pdf for the ones that don't know how to unzip files. If I can't, I can't. Thanks for the help so far spasticdonkey. I gotta run out for a bit too.

papamike
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote

You must have corrected your problem. When I download the file in question I have no problems.

mastertech44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote

It is sort of fixed. It can only be downloaded if it is in a .zip format. If I keep it in the .pdf format, then it doesn't work. Something about the .pdf extension even with it added to the list.

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote

The people downloading the file could possibly just unzip the file and then get the .pdf file. Just a suggestion Smile

mastertech44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote

Yeah, if I have to do it that way, I will. But some of the people that will be using the site aren't very computer literate, so I was hoping there was a way around it. Smile I kind of remember seeing something about a .pdf incompatibility with platinum nuke too the more I think about it.

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote

It seems that I remember browsers can be set to reject .pdf files too. kaching!

mastertech44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote

I just changed it back to a .pdf file and tried it with the Chrome browser (not sure why I didn't try that before, just tried FireFox and then IE). With Chrome, I get a file not found message. Was doing some searching for my vague recollection of php platinum nuke and .pdf issues this morning. No luck so far.

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote

Using IE I just downloaded the .pdf file. 16.4Mb.

mastertech44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote

That's weird. I have not tried another computer. This is the first time I have had an issue like this. Guess I'll leave it as .pdf for now and see if I can figure out what the deal is. Thanks for doing that and letting me know!

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote

Nice file too. Smile

papamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote

The Gremlins at work. =)

mastertech44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote

Not working on my wife's kindle fire either. I get a file or directory not found message. Will have to try another computer tonight. Time for work. :/ I can't take credit for the file. Traxxas did that. Smile Hoping to get all the common manuals and firmware/software files on the site for the regular and new racers. Thanks again!!

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, are you able to host the download file on another domain? Downloads hosted at your site have anti-leeching protection, which I think may be causing the pdf issue. External downloads do not. Something to try if possible, as it would help narrow down what is happening.

mastertech44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote

I tried to link to the .pdf file on a couple of different domains using the complete url. The validation never passed and the download attempts never worked either. I did try changing the file extension to .zip just to see if it worked that way externally and that never worked either. So far it seems to have to be within the site for it to work and not as a .pdf. I'm going to try and upload some other types of files and see how that goes for a bit and then come back to this so I can feel like I'm making some headway. Wink Thanks again for the help so far.

papamike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote

Maybe try going to a search engine and put the entire URL and see if you can download it from there. Just a guess Smile

papamike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote

Have you dumped your cookies yet?

mastertech44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote

papamike wrote:
Maybe try going to a search engine and put the entire URL and see if you can download it from there. Just a guess Smile

I can get the file to work from a direct link. Just verified again using Chrome.

papamike wrote:
Have you dumped your cookies yet?

Yes, I did try that too just to make sure. Still unable to download the file through the Downloads module right after downloading it via the direct link using the same browser.

papamike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote

I discovered your problem. When you initially setup your link you didn't enter the entire link. The link only calls up modules.php[?]name=Downloads. Disregard the []. As per the link shown in your downloads address bar. To have direct access to your file try loading the link to it in a block or news submission. Hope this helps. Smile

Corrected the download URL?

Last edited by papamike on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 3 times in total 
nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

Make sure the pdf does not have spaces in the name. Also make sure you use the full address for the link ex. mysite.com/folder/myfile.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote

If I use the entire link, it fails the validation, file size check and still does not work. All I have to do different is change the file type from .pdf to .zip and it all works fine. That's the weird part.

I'll probably just upload all the documents and manuals that are .pdf files after I zip them and deal with the ones that have issues unzipping them, at least for now. Got a busy week coming up mostly with work and squeezing family Christmas stuff in somewhere so I'll probably have to leave working on the site alone for the next week or so other than uploading more items and linking when time allows. I appreciate all the help so far. Smile

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote

Sorry but I am able to see your link. Remember u need to have Adobe Reader install on your computer.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Edit: I am back from testing this:

Steps I did

1. Log in as administrator.
2. Click on Download(admin.php?op=DLMain)
3. Click on Add Extension to fill it in

Extension: .pdf
File Type: Yes
Imagen Type: No

I click on add extension.

4. I upload and added to my download a pdf file, firefox 17.1 ask me two things. To download it or to open it with adobe reader if u already install it on your computer.

Note: I tested directly and it worked too.

That's all folks!
Very Happy

Last edited by hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic