Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote

Coming soon, Highchart Statistics for RavenNuke. For those not familiar with Highcharts, it's a charting library written in pure JavaScript, offering an easy way of adding interactive charts to your web site or web application. Highcharts currently supports line, spline, area, areaspline, column, bar, pie and scatter chart types. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

For the purposes of integration within the Statistics module, it uses pie and areaspline charts to compare your traffic over time. Yearly stats are displayed in a pie chart, monthly stats compares up to the last four years by month, and so on.

You can mouseover charts for more info, disable/enable results by clicking on the legend, export/print the chart, or drag an area to zoom.

A variety of other code enhancements, such as converting the use of double-quotes to single-quotes, removing any queries inside of loops, SQL statement cleanup, and a minimalistic layout for tables that should be html5 ready (although untested, and only viewable with JavaScript disabled). Examples of theme specific charts:

Image Image Image Image

For a real idea of the charting capabilities see the highcharts demos [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I'll keep you posted as it should be available relatively soon, depending on how much free time I can find in the coming days.

Important Note: While Highcharts can be redistributed in non-commercial packages and is free for use under certain circumstances, it is not free for use on commercial sites. See: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Looks very interesting but the most sites today are using ads and if I understood this correctly you will have to pay a lot of money just for a single website.

Also you have to follow this:

Quote:
Non-commercial redistribution

You are allowed to distribute a Highsoft software product with non-commercial packages given that you fulfill two conditions:

Emphasize to your users that a Highsoft software product is not free for commercial use. You can do this on your download page or when your users activate a Highsoft software product in your application.
Provide a link back to this web page in the same location.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote

nice!

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Good point Susan, it will be up to the end-user to determine if their site is commercial or not. If you are selling advertising, and not a registered non-profit, then yes; your site may be commercial... Even still you should be making a profit before you can be considered as generating revenue, imo, but you can always ask on their forums if you are unsure. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

If you are just using google adsense or similar, then that alone does not make your site commercial... from the Highchart author:

torstein.honsi wrote:
Adsense alone normally doesn't qualify as a commercial website. Many personal websites have Adsense on them.

The single website commercial license is $80 as of this writing, which is very reasonably priced when compared to other commercial charting libraries with similar features and ease-of-use. There are some free alternatives such as the jQuery Visualize Plugin and Flot; but I preferred Highcharts even with a restrictive license.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Good that u bring this up spasticdonkey, I have something similar MS_Analysis but it takes so much space inside Mysql, I wonder if instead of saving the content in Mysql could be better saving all this content in the ftp, I don't know if I explain good enough. if u have a limitation on mysql u won't like this module.

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote

@spasticdonkey

Thanks for the information about the commercial aspect. Now, it`s understandable. Wink

@unicornio
consider to open a new topic with your questions about MS_Analysis.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote

Nice!
I had looked at Google charting API for Donations but this looks quite nice.
I'll have a look on their website to see what dependencies there are because I always get concerned with JS in that there might be incompatiblities in the future with dependencies if vendors cannot keep in synch.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Highcharts uses a JavaScript object structure to define options of charts, and can be run under jQuery, MooTools or the Prototype framework... By default it is setup for jQuery. One advantage of a semi-commercial script is that they update it regularly, and have at least a couple full time programmers... I would be surprised if they don't keep it updated as they have some pretty important clients. IBM, NASA, Siemens, HP, CBS, Hitachi, Ericsson, BMW, Nissan, Sony, Fujitsu, Citi, BBC, MasterCard, etc..

Advanced users may be interested in an object-oriented PHP wrapper for Highcharts, called HighRoller, which I have not tried: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

There is a very nice looking related library Highstock for those who may need stock/financial charting. For those familiar with Highslide, which is a very nice image, media, and gallery viewer, it is also a related library. I believe they all have a similar "free for non-commercial" license. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

While I tried out several charting libraries, I had actually not seen the Google charting api, looks pretty nice... although the initial setup could be a headache for some.

While not included in the Statistics module, the charts obviously could be used for other things, such as a Survey Block, more in-depth Stats, etc. For those that have a desire to learn the documentation is about the best I have ever seen, and there are also a ton of functional demos as well as jsfiddle examples within the documentation.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote

I really like this but as I say before. Is your Mysql going to grow more than u expect it. Why not saving this data as a file instead of on your phpmyadmin?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote

I don't think that would be an issue. The data is already there in the database, all HighChart does is present that same data in a different format.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

To reinforce what Guardian has said, there are no database changes required for this module to work; and the size within the db will be the same as before. Although more information is queried to display the charts, there was a pretty inefficient method within the showHourlyStats() function that used db queries inside a loop for each hour. That has been replaced, and the detailed stats page should have about 50% fewer queries as a result... Even with 4x more info.

As for your MS Analysis tables growing large, that's a different issue. With all the data that MSA collects, it's not surprising that this is happening. I remember MSA had some built-in table pruning options for this reason... Although not sure they still work. That module is so full of eregi and in need of updates... I started on a "lite" version some time ago, but too many projects and not enough time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote

Yes, MS Analysis is working properly. The only issue I notice is the tables growing so much and that's why I would like something different. All eregi has been corrected by me. Let me know if you want me to send a copy for you.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Got around to getting this wrapped up Smile
Story: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Demo: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Download (reg required) [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

KennyW
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote

Great work Spasticdonkey

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote

Nice !!

poster99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote

anyone have this highchart module? please i want get it.

poster99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
Got around to getting this wrapped up Smile
Story: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Demo: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Download (reg required) [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

i cant download the module, please if anyone have it..attach here.. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic