Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
jane65
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

I am using the latest version of Ravennuke. I have a friend who is running IE8 on his pc and he says he can't see my header logo on his browser. I have tried Fusibice and Simply Blue, having modified the template to show my logo etc, but whichever theme I display my friend says he can't see the header. I can see it on my pc on IE9 and on my daughters laptop. When I use the F12 developer tools on my browser and try IE8 in the Browser mode I can see my header, so not sure why it doesn't display on my friends pc. I used the website browser tester at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and noticed that some older browsers don't show the header. Please can anyone tell me what the problem might be?
Thank you for any suggestions Smile

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote

which theme you are using? Do you have changed the header? Can you post a link to your site with this problem?

jane65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply. Its on SimplyBlue theme, the link to the site is [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

neralex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote

This is a bug inside the IE8 with background images.

Code:
.thrColFixHdr #header {

clear:both;
   background:url("../../../themes/SimplyBlue/images/header_02.png"); /* set full path to your background-image */
   background-repeat:no-repeat;
   width:982px;
   height:150px;
   align:center;
       margin-top:8px;
}

or
Code:
.thrColFixHdr #header {

clear:both;
   background-image:url("../../../themes/SimplyBlue/images/header_02.png");/* use background-image and set full path to your background-image */
   background-repeat:no-repeat;
   width:982px;
   height:150px;
   align:center;
       margin-top:8px;
}

jane65

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply again. If I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that IE8 doesn't show background images?

My friend on IE8 can see my header logo that is a background image on another site that I created using the 2.4 version of Ravennuke. I actually uploaded the Anagram theme from my other site on to the 2.5 version to see if my friend could see the header logo, however, initially the header logo was set to call the header from my 2.4 version site that I took the theme from and he could see that, but after I changed just the header logo on the Anagram theme to be called from the images on the 2.5 version, he could no longer see the header logo. Could it be that there is something missing in the code of the 2.5 version that is preventing the header from displaying on IE8 as the 2.4 version was showing it? Thanks.

neralex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote

No. The IE8 doesn't show background images correctly! That is is problem. Its an CSS bug inside the IE8. In all themes inside the RN25 packages works all background images. The difference in your themes is inside the css-files.

Change your background styles and test it with adobe browserlab. Its an free service of adobe to check your site in many browser engines:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

search with this keywords in google and you found many entries:

ie8 background images bug

jane65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote

Hi, thanks very much for the info, I can see the header isn't showing on IE6, 7, and 8 using browserlab, but I can't seem to get a background style to work, so does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks Smile

jane65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote

After trying to get my header logo to show on either fisubice or Simply Blue and the Anagram theme that I uploaded on RN25, I can't actually believe it is totally an internet explorer issue, because how come I can view the background image header logo on another site of mine that is created on RN24 in IE6, 7, and 8, yet on the RN25 I can't view any background header logo or even an ordinary img src which I've just tested in the header on any IE explorers apart from IE9. Is there anywhere I can download the full RN 2.4 version as I can't seem to find the download for it and I think I'd prefer to use that version for this site that I'm creating to solve the header issue? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote

jane65, you have many bugs inside your theme. If i look into your markup, then i found many errors in the tables and in the styles. This is it, why do you have some problems.

You must set the styles in your style.css file of your theme, not in the theme.php. In the theme.php you must set only the css-classes.

Try this addon for your firefox and you will see all errors and warnings in your markup:

I have for you an modded RavenIce Theme, with real rounded corners. Upload it, activate it and you will see the header background image in all browsers. Try to write a clear markup and do you have not this problems.

-- link removed

Its not an error of RN25! All themes in the package works fine, the problem is inside your styles and in your markup.

Smile

Last edited by neralex on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total 
jane65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Hi, thank you very much for your help and for the theme, however, unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem. I have just uploaded and activated the theme on RN25, and tested it straightaway on the browserlab site and although I can see the blue background which is in the header, the actual Ravennuke logo.gif is not showing in IE6, 7 and 8, and the round corners have all disappeared, I can see the logo and round corners in IE9 only

jane65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I think it might be ok now, I've replaced the blue background image with my header logo, and it is showing on IE6, 7 and 8, so hopefully all I need to do now is make a few alterations to the size, positioning and border to make it look as I want it. Thank you Smile

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote

If i right, then RN25 supports not more IE6. Internet Explorer (under version 9) does not natively support rounded corners. The IE is a realy bad browser. An Update is very easy to use with the windows updates and in all update packagees of last months you will find the IE9.

But i have tested with own page and RN25 in browserlab and the header background is showing. Its all fine. I will test it tomorrow again.

Last edited by neralex on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total 
neralex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote

oh okay Smile this in fine, if its works now.

jane65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am still having problems because I can't work out how to get a border down the side. When I have a border on the .minmax it basically creates a straight border right around my logo on which I already have rounded edges and want to keep. Through trial and error in trying to modify the theme to get my border where I want it, I have discovered that the actual Ravennuke Logo that comes with the theme is now showing on IE6, IE7 and IE8, yet when I replace that logo with my own logo which is a much bigger size, it doesn't show at all, does anyone know why that is happening? All I'm actually doing is replacing the image and not altering the code. Maybe someone could tell me the secret of what the Ravennuke Logo is made of, because it just seems to me that my logo isn't made of the same stuff...lol. Thanks Smile

jane65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote

Actually I could be on to something, because i've just tried out another logo from my other site on this site, and it is showing in IE6,7, and 8, so it may be that those internet explorers just don't like my logo for some unknown reason!!! So I'm going to make another header logo, and try that Smile

neralex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote

You make the same failure as before. Don't write the styles inside the theme.php. You must work with the style.css and the classes.

The class "minmax" is the main container of the complete theme. In my version you can see, the "header_wrap" container is inside of "minmax". Inside of "head_wrap" is the "head_content" container.

The class for change your background is "head_content". Check the styles.css and you can see the background styles of this class. Here you must change the styles.

But before, please put back the container "header_wrap" with the container "head_content" into the container "minmax".

Now you can set in the styles.css a new class - for example:

open: /themes/jane/style/style.css

Code:
.myhead_content {

background:utl('../mylink/to/my/background-image.gif') no-repeat top center;
   etc...
}

Now you go back in the theme.php and change the class of the container head_content:

Code:
      . '      <div id="head_content">'."\n"

change it to:

Code:
      . '      <div id="myhead_content">'."\n"

This is, what i mean with: work with the classes in styles.css and don't write styles in the codelines of the theme.php. Backgrund of this is, you don't must change the code of your theme. So you can change very cool all styles without to change the lines in the theme.php and you figure out the code much more flexible.

The class "rounded" makes the round corners. The class "roundtop" make the rounded corners only at the top of a container. The class "roundbottom" make the rounded corners only at the bottom of a container.

You can set more than one class in a container. For example - here works two classes: minmax an rounded

Code:
   echo '<div class="minmax rounded">'."\n"

If you remove the class rounded, then you remove the rounded corners of minmax. But you can add more classes, too.

Code:
   echo '<div class="minmax rounded myfirstclass mysecondclass mythirdclass">'."\n"

This is the freshness and coolness of the working with css. I hope I could explain it.

Smile

jane65

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help and the info about the CSS which I am still learning, its been much appreciated, but it actually proved to be a problem with the logo image itself, I don't know what was wrong with it, but all I did was saved the image again as a .gif file ( I may have uploaded it before as a png) and uploaded it again and now I can see it on all Internet explorer browsers.

neralex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote

There are many different formats and options for saving a png. The question is, what options have you used that IE does not display the image. Which Tool you are using to save the png? Post a link to the picture (png) that does not work. I will try it, to save in an another format.

killing-hours
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic