Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
AndyB
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote

Is there a maximum length an article/ story can be? Shocked

I aks because one of mine looks like it was "cropped" .... (on my website, not here)

Admittedly, it's a bit of a beast...

If you click the .pdf, it comes out at 20 pages Shocked

How do I get it all in, or set pagination? Please....
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I noticed because one of the images didn't show, then I spotted the missing text.... (stops mid sentance)

Help appreciated (yes, I know it's a long article Rolling Eyes I vaguely remember writing it- it was on 9 pages of html when originally done)

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote

It has to be a database limitation. I am not home to check the column type used to store the data but you may have to make a database change to store more characters. There is no "coded" limitation that I am aware of.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
AndyB

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote

Thanks Palbin; that was my thoughts. I could split it into 2 "stories" but then you don't necessary get the "consistency"- although it is a bit of a HUGE one.
If somebody could advise the table/ column I need to look at/ alter, I will take a look when I get home...

Thanks.

**EDIT**
through phpmyadmin> table>nuke_stories I go to the entry in the table/ database, and if I click "edit", I get a message next to 'bodytext"
Quote:
Because of its length,
this column might not be editable

There's no mention of restrictions in the SQL structure:

Column: body text
Type: text
Collation: latin1_swedish_ci
Attributes: blank
Null: No
Default: None

It may be a limitation of the database/ mysql, I don't know....

Suggestions of tohse wiser than me welcome Wink

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote

Text limit in mysql is 65,535 bytes. You could change the TEXT to MEDIUMTEXT which will give you a limit of 16,777,215 bytes or LONGTEXT which has a limit of 4,294,967,295 bytes.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote

will this affect future upgrades, though, if the format is changed? (Am trying to think ahead)- if so, it maybe easier to split into 2 separate stories- a part 1 & part 2. (It is a bit of a beast and is heavy reading- mainly facts and figures...)

nuken

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote

The only thing an upgrade will check for is if the table exists. It's your call if you want to or not.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote

Another option, and one I would seriously consider, is using the Content module for the "article" and then your news story posts an excerpt and has a link to the full article under the Content module.

AndyB

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote

I've never used the Content module; are details on it's use etc. mentioned in the wiki? (I've got a thread and watching another about the news module etc.- I've stuck everything in using the news system so far (about 600 articles)

montego

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote

The Wiki doesn't have much by way of Usage type information on any of the modules, so, no, it isn't discussed. Was just thinking for the really large articles, you could use it as I suggested. Was certainly not suggestion switching from News to Content (its actually Content Plus). Was suggestion using one to complement the other.

AndyB

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote

understood. I need to look into this further; my gut feeling is to go back to the article (because there are bits missing) and split it into 2....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic