Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
aeroskyn
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote

I have seen this talked about all over, but nothing seems to relate to this latest version. I would like to add a scolling block to my site, similar to the one in action on the downloads page of this site.
I've tried the procedure described in the Nuke manual, to no avail. I have seen it discussed for forums, but not in this section (2.4 issues).
Any help or point in the right place is appreciated.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is actually an RN 'issue' but not to worry.
If you have a block you wish to use, you upload the block to the /blocks/ directory then activate the block via the Administration->blocks interface.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Guardian.
Maybe that is part of my problem, I don't have a block to use. I have a block or two, that I would like to scroll, or at least have that option. There are scrolling blocks on this site, in the downloads section, but I haven't seen a place where I can download a scroll-able block.
I have seen it explained in a few 'old' threads, but I could not get results from those instructions, in v2.4. I need further assistance.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote

I'm still a bit confused. You say there are scrolling blocks available for download here but in the same sentence, state you have not seen a place where you can download a scrollable block.....

Just to clarify then; what data are you wanting to display? For which module?
Is this module a third party module or is it part of the RN distribution?

Once we know what data you want to display, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

The problem with most third party scrolling blocks is that they use the HTML Marque tag, which is not web standards compliant but if that isn't a problem for you, it should be relatively simple to find a block for you.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I have many blocks on my site. Some are very long and I would like to shorten them by having that content scroll. My data is in the form of RSS feeds.

I said there was an example of scrolling blocks on this site, in the downloads section. Not scrolling blocks for download on this site. I figured if it was displayed on this site, it was available for all, without much alteration needed.

What I seem to be getting from you, is that there isn't anything provided by RN or for RN, and what I may find, may not be web standards compliant.

When I saw read you saying to 'upload', I did some searching and found something that may work. Something I design on another site, and upload the code to somewhere on my site or in the block itself. Not sure if that is what I want, at this time. Since I can't upload a code into any blocks, featuring RSS.(?)

Thanks for the info.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Normally data in side blocks are produced by seperate 'block' files (stored in the blocks directory) but this is not the case with the RSS feed blocks on your site as they are actually produced dynamically by built in functions of the RN system.
I'm not aware of any modifications to the underlying nukePIE (tm) code that will allow them to scroll as this would entail modifying core system files to add some sort of javascript/AJAX scrolling mechanism. I have sent a message to kguske who integrated/wrote this functionality to see if he has any idea's.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. Have you seen the scrolling blocks located in the downloads section of this website?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I've been looking at content sliders, and others have been looking at content scrollers. Guardian2003 is correct that the RSS reader does not support scrolling out of the box. However, it could be possible to do so with some jQuery magic. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look further into this until after the next release is out, but it might be possible just with a jQuery plugin.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help, Guardian and kguske. I will keep looking for something, also.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote

OffTopic
aeroskyn, I like your avatar! I almost squashed the bug on my screen, but then realized it was scrolling with the rest of the screen...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic