Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
j4rdin
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I have been having problems with my htaccess file being replaced with a blank version, which has all the required rewrite rules missing from it. This makes it difficult to spot when the site gets broken as the front page works fine, its only when you click on a link to take you to a news or content page that you get the missing page error back from the server.

My web host swears blind that they aren't changing any files on my site and this has been going on now for some months. Is it possible for someone to be able to replace this file on the server remotely just by chance?

Any help would be appreciation.

Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Change your passwords (FTP, admin, etc).

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote

You can also use ftp to see the date/timestamp on the file and if it gets changed due to a third party wiping or swopping the file, you have a date/timestamp to give your host so they can check their logs - if you don't have access to your own server logs.

Changing your password is a good. If your hosting account uses cPanel you can change the master password for the whole account, which will automatically change the passwords for ftp etc.
You might also want to review any third party modules you have installed for known security issues, usually Chat scripts or anything that allows remote file uploads like Galleries and older versions of pbpBB forum.

Be aware that it might not actually be your site that is the problem; some older versions of Wordpress (as an example) had issues which allowed user to remotely access other accounts on the same (shared hosting) server.

j4rdin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:

You might also want to review any third party modules you have installed for known security issues, usually Chat scripts or anything that allows remote file uploads like Galleries and older versions of pbpBB forum.

Be aware that it might not actually be your site that is the problem; some older versions of Wordpress (as an example) had issues which allowed user to remotely access other accounts on the same (shared hosting) server.

I have used cPanel to change the master password and also removed any other admin accounts that hadn't been used recently. The site is using the latest RavenNuke version and I don't use Wordpress or any chat software, but they do allow Wordpress on the server. I do use the forums that come with the Raven install.

My site is [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Then you have done pretty much all you can do for now.
Make a note of the timestamp for your htaccess file so if it does get modified, you'll have the new timestamp which can be used for your host to track down the issue.
Most shared hosting providers only keep their logs for 24 hours or so because of the sheer amount of them so all you can do is check it daily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic