Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Captcha Security
express
Client

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Hi again,

I have a question that I hope you can help me with. We have a new member to our site who is blind. He has a software program that allows him to interact with the site. The problem is he is not able to "see" the captcha security code entry during the login.
I need to have certain login features enabled on the site for security reasons but want to find a workaround so our friend can login and access our site. What are my solutions to this issue? I have seen some sites that have a "voice cue", is that a possibility with RN?

Thanks in advance,
Express

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote

Some of the audio CAPTCHA's are easily bypassed so for me personally, it isn't much of an option.
I suspect the crux of the problem might actually be in the way they CAPTCHA is presented e.g. there may not be a 'label' on the form to tell accessibility software (screen reader?) what is in the box or where to type the code.
It might help if we knew exactly which page the user in on when trying to log-in i.e. the homepage log-in box or the main account page log-in, or the registration page etc...

wHiTeHaT
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote

if it is only this user and he has a static ip , let him login automaticly when he visit?
ofcourse this isnt what you where looking for , but atleast he's able to get in to your site.
or disable the $gfx for this ip

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

I know kguske removed the capacha from the login on his site (I imagine he kept for registration). I have not seen a setting for disabling so I assume he went in and did some edits (could be wrong)... but that is a possible solution, although I don't know if he took extra steps to keep bots from going to town on that form.

Do you know if your user is using a braille and/or aural reader? I did some testing on braille/aural stylesheets but don't know anyone who was able to try them out. I may be able to give you a braille/aural stylesheet to improve his/her experience on your site... depending on what theme you are using (it works best for CSS based themes like ravenice). If you can post/pm a link to the site I'll take a look.

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote

In config.php, you can set the captcha for different login types.

// 0: No check
// 1: Administrators login only
// 2: Users login only
// 3: New users registration only
// 4: Both, users login and new users registration only
// 5: Administrators and users login only
// 6: Administrators and new users registration only
// 7: Everywhere on all login options (Admins and Users)

I use 6 which only uses the login captcha for new user registration and admin login.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your input. I was unawares as to the config properties so will try that first, since it is the fastest and simplest to try.

I will check to see which reader he is using and get back to you spastic. The site is [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

The settings are pretty restrictive so that only registered members can view most of the site. All a non registered member will see is the home page.

I will post here as soon as you has a chance to login this evening.

Thanks again,
Express

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote

my knowledge of braille/aural stylesheets is somewhat limited, but the basic idea is to hide as much of the non-important content, such as the blocks, or other content/styling which makes no sense for visually impaired users. From my understanding the setup for braille/aural is about the same... I have a "beta" braille/aural setup for ravenice, but I have not touched the forums area as of yet.

Your particular theme is table-based so it's harder to hide content via a CSS file. If you would consider making ravenice available to your user, I'll see if I can finish the "beta" and get the required stuff over to you... (as time allows, I have about 20 projects going atm Wink )

If you want a preview of what a braille stylesheet looks like: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
and in your browser menu select:
view -> page style -> braille

It's still somewhat under construction but should deliver a much better visually impaired experience than w/o it Smile

express

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote

wow thank you spastic! I will change the theme for him no problemo.
Appreciate all of your help you fine folks at RN

Wave

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote

cool, I'll see if I can put something together for you in the next week or so.
@ current it is set to hide forms and textareas because I figured they could never get past the captcha, but I will be changing that. I had actually set this aside for awhile, because I needed someone to test.. so this helps me too Smile

it will require RN v2.4 or greater btw... I didn't think to ask your version Wink

express

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Well it worked. He is able to login and partake of the website. Many thanks!

I am using RN 2.4 spasticdonkey.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote

excellent Smile
did you happen to find out what type of device he is using?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Captcha Security

View next topic
View previous topic