Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.9
paranor
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:31 am Reply with quote

When a user, or as an administrator, I try to add someone to a group (or the user requests it) this error appears on the screen.

I have NO set for "Use SMTP Server for email"
Is that correct?

I also get an email to the system administrator with a title of "Mail failure - no recipient addresses".

BODY OF EMAIL ERROR WHEN I CHOOSE A PERSON TO BE IN A GROUP:
Quote:

A message that you sent contained no recipient addresses, and therefore no
delivery could be attempted.

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

Received: from nobody by lisa.gendns2.com with local (Exim 4.24)
id 1AScO3-0005LP-7f; Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:22:19 -0700
To:
Subject: You have been added to this usergroup
Reply-to: <netadmin@st.raphael.org>
Return-Path: <netadmin@st.raphael.org>
Message-ID: <18cd7b52b48be9988293e0d061aa45d2@st.raphael.org>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:22:19 0
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: PHP
X-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2
X-rewrote-sender: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Congratulations,

You have been added to the "council" group on St. Raphael the Archangel.
This action was done by the group moderator or the site administrator, contact them for more information.

You can view your groups information here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

--
Thank you.
Webmaster
St. Raphael the Archangel Church

ERROR on php-bb:
Quote:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 277
File : /home/strapha/public_html/includes/emailer.php

linker

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote

First of all, I'm sorry for necroposting. I'm working in technical support and met such problem several times. Finally I've found the solution.

As you know, phpBB sending informational e-mails to just registered user and all of the administrators. Administrators' email addresses fetched from mySQL DB. And in case of error there is unnecessary blank record in the database, which is causing e-mail to be sent nowhere. For such request CGI reacts usually throwing 500 error with little explanation in error log as "Malformed headers: Bad header=No recipient addresses found".

Fix is simple to perform but was not so simple to find out.
Execute this line while logged to the DB that phpBB using(thru phpMyAdmin or mysql command for example).
Code:
SELECT user_email, user_lang FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_level = 1

Then delete an empty line and that's it.

Last edited by linker on Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total 
jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Hmm necroposting had to look that one up. Wink

Welcome to the RN forums.

Apologies for being cynical, but is this just an excuse to advertise your company?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Yup.
1 it's the wrong piece of software - this forum is for phpNuke 6.5 not pbpBB
2 the table name is wrong even if you factor in BB2Nuke
3 The problem has never existed, at least not in the last few years
4 Any host who allows un-patched software of this age to run on a public server should really look for another job.

linker

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote

1) I consider this should be dedicated to the author of the topic, isn't it?
2) The table name is right, re-check your knowledge about phpBB
3) Could be. However, I've found this post after I've met this problem. So for at least two people it's actual Smile
4) The problem is not with unpatched software but with human factor or whatever caused this, because this happens not with every installation of this software

I've registered to the forum because of simple wish to share what I've found out after several hours of debugging third-party code, why don't you just accept this to make other people who know how to use Google easier find the solution?

P.S. I've edited my first post and removed name of the company, so you won't consider this as "excuse for ad".

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote

"The Software" we are discussing in this thread though is phpNuke and not phpBB, both of which are not supported or being developed any more. phpNuke stopped being developed by the original author two years ago and I believe the phpBB 2.x branch which was ported for phpNuke (the port being known as BB2Nuke) reached an end of life around a year ago.

I appreciate that the error itself is genuine, as is the fix you posted. The problem originally stems from early phpBB code which allowed registered users to change their email address and the DB allowing an empty field. Later versions of phpBB code used either in the stana alone pbpBB forum software or the ported code (BB2Nuke) does not allow an empty field for the users email address and also requires the user to re-authenticate any changed email address via an emailed link to the user.

Of course there is no way to tell if an empty email field is present when software updates are undertaken so that is something RavenNuke could possibly check for in it's installer routine.

jakec

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote

I'm sorry if you feel we have jumped on you, but I am sure you can appreciate that we are fighting a never ending battle with users who register and then just post once to advertise a certain product and/or website.

Sorry I'm getting off topic now.

linker

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote

offtopic below:
I do understand that in such manner management of the forum is filtering "covered spammers" or psychotic persons who usually reacts on critics with capsed yelling.
However, thank you for technical details related to described problem and hope this will be helpful for users who still for some reason use outdated soft.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.9

View next topic
View previous topic