Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote

The only outstanding issue with the nukeSEO Social Bookmarking for PHPNuke has to do with W3C compliance. The URLs are encoded, but some of the sites (e.g. digg, del.icio.us, furl, reddit, technorati) don't treat & as &. Others (e.g. blinklist, Yahoo MyWeb) work fine. To see an example, visit [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and click the Blink It and digg icons below an article. See how the Blink It shows the correct URL, but digg shows it with the amp?

Displaying the & without the amp; causes the page not to validate. Is there a way around this so we can link to sites like digg without breaking validation?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of. It is strange that digg doesn't honor that. That's a standard entity.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote

It works if I use %26 instead of & or &. Not sure it will validate...

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Of course it doesn't validate...W3C sees it as &.

I guess it's an argument in favor of URL rewriting. Of course, I could implement a special file for rewriting news with just 1 parameter (I suggested something similar for NSN News 2.0 to allow old links to a story to continue to work with the new URL structure in NSN News). I'll take that approach, unless anyone strongly disapproves or has a better idea...

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Just had another idea: why not use a valid link on the Nuke site that directs to the invalid link on the social bookmark site? That way, if we wanted to keep track of how many times people clicked a link, we could do so pretty easily.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote

I got it to work! What a PAIN!

First, I replace & with &. Then, I used htmlentities(urlencode($url)).

Validates AND submits to digg and others correctly!

Now, off to write the documentation and installation...

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote

Interesting concept... will have to "chew on it awhile"... This is the first I've seen of this. I know, I know, I must be living in a vacuum tube! killing me

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote

It's all about getting links while providing visitors with useful tools to help remember and promote your site. The concept has been around for a while (remember the old bookmarks module?), but really exploded this year with digg and del.icio.us (and others). Yahoo MyWeb recently came out with a powerful version that looks appealing.

The good news is that all the testing I did for the social bookmarking tool is directly applicable to the other stuff I'm working on. Multi-tasking is always a good thing...

johnsteve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Social bookmarking links helps to advertise our site in a short way.It will reach to the people very easy and quick.
===============================

john

Note From Admin: This is SPAM and has been removed. Further posts like this will cause your account to be deleted.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Uh...thanks for that. You do realize that links in posts are hidden from search engines? Only members can see them.

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
I guess it's an argument in favor of URL rewriting

any thoughts on a shortlinks enabled version of nukeSEO Social Bookmarking?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
any thoughts on a shortlinks enabled version of nukeSEO Social Bookmarking?

You mean passing a shortlinked url to be used by the social bookmarking site?
Intersting idea but you would have to check whether the site was actually using url re-writing and which technique was used.
I don't think it would be a problem for RavenNuke (tm) as we know what is used but it might be difficult for SocialBookmarks as a stand alone module

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote

I'll play around with it - it could be really simple, but I'm afraid it will be really complex. If it can identify the rewritten URL, it will be easy. But if not, we would have to build the rewriting logic into a PHP function, where it's mostly in htaccess now (and there are different flavors).

jestrella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote

I had my own nightmare trying to integrate the addtoany button to content plus without breaking w3c compliance. You can take a look at the showpage function in CP to see the code I used to accomplish this...

Best Regards
Jonathan Estrella [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
kguske

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Will do, thanks

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote

Yes I was speaking of passing the shortened URLs to be used by the social bookmarking site.. But I only care if it works in RN Smile

Have a site in progress that has many custom modules, and I've spent a good amount of time tapping everything on the site... Would like to use nukeSEO SB but it's hard for me to promote the site with un-tapped urls after going thru the effort shortening all those urls Shocked

Not to mention I changed some of the re-writes to get some important keywords (specific to my site) into the URL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHP

View next topic
View previous topic