Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Issues
krustymk
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote

I dont see a section this would fit in exactly and ive searched.. old and blind? perhaps lol

How can i change to the captcha you guys use on here (just numbers in a box) from the default numbers and letters with squigly lines? I got some members who cant get the captcha right time after time Rolling Eyes ........... and feel they would have a better chance (and me less phone calls!)

Thanks guys! Very Happy

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Don't know that you can change it. You can turn it off entirely though in config.php. The instructions are right in the file.

Edited: corrected "rnconfig.php" to "config.php"

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote

The recipe is in includes/class.php-captcha.php Smile

Edit the setting define('CAPTCHA_NUM_LINES', 70);

To get rid of all lines, change the 70 to 0

define('CAPTCHA_NUM_LINES', 0);

krustymk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote

Ill try that as soon as i can, just to confirm though.
This would change the captcha with all the squigly lines to the same as the one you guys use here? with the numbers only in a grid?

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote

No it won't make it the same. The captcha used here is the old style, which was easier to crack by bots.

Removing the lines as Raven said should make it easier to read, but will of course make less secure.

If your users are having trouble reading it surely it is a good thing because then the bots won't be able to crack it either. Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Just a note on Jake's comment "but will of course make less secure". It is less secure only in regards to auto scanning the image. The old style, used here, is/was less secure because the method for creating it can/could be predicted. The new one, with or without the background noise, is no longer predictable Wink.

jakec

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

Yes you are right Raven, sorry I should have made that clearer.

krustymk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

Ok, done as you suggested Raven, much easier to read! so hopefully the illiterate fools i know wont keep ringing me when they log in (or cant) lol
Does make me kinda wonder how come you use your older less secure captcha version though... but thats just a hmmmmm lol
Right im off to search on how to remove the downloads link from the bar across the top..
Cheers guys! your are the best Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote

krustymk wrote:
Does make me kinda wonder how come you use your older less secure captcha version though... but thats just a hmmmmm

Rolling Eyes

For the gazillionth time .....

This site does not use RavenNuke(tm), per se. This site was built on v6.5 and was upgraded over the years to an extremely customized v7.6. The code then became the foundation for RavenNuke(tm) v1.00.00 released 24-Nov-2005. I have so many customizations to this site, custom code/modules/blocks, different rewrite rules, etc., that it's not really feasible to upgrade to RavenNuke(tm) nor needed, other than to stop having to answer this same question over and over ROTFL. This site has all the security of RavenNuke(tm) but just not the styling. Sometime, before I die (maybe), this site may eventually be a visible RavenNuke(tm) site. So, the appearance is but a facade; the structure is very much RavenNuke(tm) where needed Wink. And, since the old style captcha is now secured there's really no reason to fix what isn't broke.

krustymk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote

feeling red faced and thoroughly told now lol.. Sorry Mr Raven
Look at it this way, if i didnt like your work so much i wouldnt be so curious Smile
Cracking job you and your team have done!

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote

Thou art forgiven. Go in peace RavensScripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic