Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other
Susann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote

I was informed today thats better to change my data like password and e-mail address because the website was attacked through brute force or something like that and they said its possible that all passwords and e-mail addresses are stolen.
No, there isn´t a new security hole in phpBB.
Just curious how do I detect when my database is also abused beneed Nuke Sentinel bans.

Last edited by Susann on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total 
evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote

Hmm.. its one of those things that you say, good luck. Hopefully no one had any sensitive information in their profiles. You'd probably want to disclose the security breach and have people reauthenticate. One way would be to reset all passwords randomly to temporary passwords and distribute via email.

I'm assuming they got your password hashes, in which case they can possibly forge user and admin cookies. Hard to detect these from valid ones, which is why changing the passwords first would be necessary.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Susann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote

I believe such things happens often but the registered members are not always informed. Its the second time within several years that I was informed I have to change my data because of such things. Its a criminal conduct and alone with the stolen e-mail addresses they can make money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other

View next topic
View previous topic