Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 8.0
kold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote

EDIT! See Below for what I did to make this work. I hope that this helps people in the future.

Is this even possible?

My site is Nuke 8.0 I would like to convert to Raven Nuke 7.6 or whatever version he is running.

the reasons are obvious. And the fact that the phpNuke guys are trying to charge cash for something that requires...
- Allot of third party modules to be worth the time
- Has been known to have bigger holes than a Cecil Girl (Calgary Joke)
- Offers Nil Support
- Has used nasty Microsoft like tactics to promote their cash cow

And please don't waste you're fingers typing in something like "Start from scratch"

I installed Raven Nuke (tm) for a friend and not only is his site more secure, it also works right out of the box!! Almost no issues.

Makes me a sad panda I wasted my time tailoring my site to my needs, added content, lots of forum posts....

The good thing is. If there IS a nice DB Conversion I wont have to smoke a heap of herbs to keep me sane Very Happy

So any tutorials? Scripts to help things lubricate?
-
-
-
-

What I did to convert phpNuke 8.0 to RavenNuke_v2.10.01
- Backed up my old database
- Installed RavenNuke_v2.10.01 into a subdirectory
- Created a NEW Database
- Imported using phpMyAdmin the database backup I created from my phpNuke 8.0 Site into the NEW database
- Ran the database down grader script that was NOT tested on phpNuke 8.0 DOWNLOAD IT HERE But it seems to have worked for me.
- I ran ALL the database primers except for CORETABLES found in the INSTALLATION/installSQL.php

Clear your cookies if you have trouble logging out
You might have to set your variables for newsposts showing and what not in your preferences. I had to set my news posts count to 10 then back to 5 for it to take effect.

I still have some testing to do. Regular user stuff, admin stuff. But im very certain all is well.

Last edited by kold on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:31 am; edited 2 times in total 
Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote

The latest RN is 2.10.1.

You can convert to it. I converted a 7.9 site to it.

In my case, I used the MySQLDiff tool to convert the database table structures of 7.9 into the format expected by RN. After that, it is just a matter of exporting the data out of the old site and importing it into the new with phpMyAdmin and/or bigdump.

Then you just delete the old files and upload the new ones. If you had modified any of the 8.0 files you'll have to carry those edits over to RN (if you want them).

A good way to practice this before you do it on your real live site is to install XAMPP on your desktop PC, and then import your live site into it. You then have a sandbox to work out the kinks in the process before touching your live site.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote

I would ALWAYS recommend testing out on your local PC first as Gremmie has pointed out. However, I would also not rule out applying the mySQLDiff table alters right onto your existing site. That avoids the step of having to unload and reload. Just a thought. I have never down the "downgrade", only many upgrades, but the process works fine on those.

kold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Nice. TY.

I'll just run it on another subdomain. Have MySQL 5 on my machine, doesnt like the back and forth.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by "back-and-forth". RavenNuke will run on PHP5 just fine. Its just some add-ons which might need a tweak or two.

kold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

but my main site is on MySQL 4

Home server is 5

I would have to take a 4 DB to 5 then back to 4

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote

That isn't a problem, at least for me. I'm running XAMPP with MySQL 5 and my live site is running 4-something.

kold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote

Just tried it out.

Didn't go too smooth. The "dummy" site running Raven imported most stuff OK. BUT... I cant log out. Im sure it wont have Sentinel functionality propperly due to the fact I didn't have sentinel on my live site (prolly fix that just by installing sentinel).

I cant reduce the number of news posts in the main page. Its shows them all :'( even after the config.

Going to do a little more poking around with it tho.

I knew I shoulda picked up a bag for this :p

I'll keep you guys updated and do a little more poking around in these forums for people who have tried to "downgrade". God I hate calling it that. Just because a version number is higher doesn't mean it is worse off

Sad
EDIT

What I did to convert phpNuke 8.0 to RavenNuke_v2.10.01
- Backed up my old database
- Installed RavenNuke_v2.10.01 into a subdirectory
- Created a NEW Database
- Imported using phpMyAdmin the database backup I created from my phpNuke 8.0 Site into the NEW database
- Ran the database down grader script that was NOT tested on phpNuke 8.0 DOWNLOAD IT HERE But it seems to have worked for me.
- I ran ALL the database primers except for CORETABLES found in the INSTALLATION/installSQL.php

Clear your cookies if you have trouble logging out
You might have to set your variables for newsposts showing and what not in your preferences. I had to set my news posts count to 10 then back to 5 for it to take effect.

I still have some testing to do. Regular user stuff, admin stuff. But im very certain all is well.

keithdubya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
The latest RN is 2.10.1.

You can convert to it. I converted a 7.9 site to it.

In my case, I used the MySQLDiff tool to convert the database table structures of 7.9 into the format expected by RN. After that, it is just a matter of exporting the data out of the old site and importing it into the new with phpMyAdmin and/or bigdump.

Gremmie,
Can you elaborate on how you used MySQLdiff to convert the database table structures of 7.9 into the format expected by RN.

I am fairly new to this.

Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 8.0

View next topic
View previous topic