Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
selma
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Imagine...

waking in the middle of the night to find an intruder in your home, threatening your family, your possessions and possibly your life. The first thought in the minds of most would be "Where do I go to get help?"

Followed by a rush of relief, when we know that someone qualified, capable and willing is available to tend to our emergency.

In most communities, we take it for granted - we expect - that a call to the police department or 911 will result in the appropriate level of help when we need it.

Why?

Because we support our police and 911 emergency services with our tax dollars and so we feel entitled to that support.

The internet is a community as well. We all live in it, we are all affected by the same types of intruders and the same panic when we find that our home, our domains, have been violated by unauthorized users.

In this community, those of us who make use of the RN project, very often feel that sense of relief when we know there is someone qualified, capable and willing is available to tend to our emergencies.

When I have a problem, I don't go to Google or Yahoo to try and find help, I come directly here. Notice there are only 20 posts credited to my user name, but I've been using this site for more than 4 years.

Judging by the more than 38 MILLION overall hits this site has received, and the more than 400 users online at the time of this writing, I know I am not alone.

Now why am I writing?

Because there is a donations meter at the left hand side of this site that continually reads significantly less than the meager $400 asked by those who are qualified, capable and willing to offer us help when we need it.

Quite simply, I am writing to challenge those who routinely take advantage of the assistance offered here, to give back!

The challenge?

* If you come to this site for news or updates
* If you use any version of the RN Distribution
* If you come to this site for information on how to fix a problem or make something happen ...

You are hereby challenged to support this site with a $5 donation once a month for as long as you use the software.

Who Ever Heard of Such A Thing?!?!?!

Well, think about it.

The last time you had to call Microsoft about a problem, they charged you $25 per hour, in advance - whether the answer took 5 minutes or 45 minutes.

When you want the professional version of Adobe, you fork out $400 +.

How many of us first found out about php nuke from FB's site and paid $10 for the latest and greatest?

I could go on, but is there reason?

If you can honestly say that the value of this product is less than ANY of those mentioned above, then just close this thread and continue to use the services and the support you've found on this site without any mind to how that level of support is to continue in the future.

If you are someone who just never thought donations were important, don't worry, you can rectify that erroneous thought by meeting the $5 Challenge.

If you KNOW that you should be donating and just keep putting it off, get on board so you can feel good about being a part of a great and worthwhile project. Just imagine, coming on-site with the feeling...

"I help make this happen!"

It's getting harder and harder these days to buy a good high. But this one is well within the reach of 90 percent of us.

So your PayPal balance is on "0.00" right now? No problem! You can charge the donation to your credit card!

Not sure it's worth it?

Take a look at the forum main page. Now think about how many threads have answers to the questions you have when you upgrade, install or run into a problem.

Now think about what would have happened if there were not qualified, capable and willing people to help you.

This is important folks. It takes more than the goodness of the hearts involved in this project to make it run. If you've ever been involved in a volunteer project, you know it also takes money, and lots of it. So don't stop donating once the meter reaches it's stated goal. If you don't get in before the $400, make your donation one that helps encourage the future development of more and greater modules, blocks and helps for the RN Project.

Convinced Yet?

Ok, then find that Donate o Meter on the left side of this page and Just Do It!

Can't do it today, but plan on it before the end of the month? Then, help encourage others to do the same by pledging your support in a reply post!

p.s. I probably should have asked permission to make this post, but an old man told me a long time ago, "Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission".

So, if I have to, I'll ask forgiveness, but first I'm asking you to join me in making a donation!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote

What a great analogy! VERY well put - thanks, selma! We should make this a sticky...

selma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote

Thank you !!!

And all the rest of you who allow us novices to play on a level field with those who have thousands to spend on site development, by making all these wonderful software packages available.

I do a lot of volunteer work, and it is very satisfying to see the end product. But it gives a nice rejuvenating jolt when those you volunteer for, stop to say ...

"Hey, do you need something? How can I make this easier on you?"

Mostly it's just that people see volunteers and people who are capable as strong. You have to have been on both sides to know how much it takes emotionally and financially to keep it up, especially over an extended period.

RavensScripts

That's the closest thing I can find to say Rah! Rah!

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:55 am Reply with quote

Yes, thank YOU Selma for the kind words. You definitely DO understand. We are all volunteers here, but it takes quite a bit of kaching! to run a site of this size. Imagine what would happen if due to financial reasons the site had to close... Sad It is one of the most active and actively monitored/supported site I know of on PHP-Nuke.

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Well, if this site had to close there will follow some more PHP Nuke sites I´m pretty sure because they profit only by this sites content.
There isn´t a second website like this but a lot of sites wich try to be the same important place of refuge. They are not a quarter as good. I know the differences very well and thats one of the reasons why I´m still here active.
Selma thanks I couldn´t write such a great analogy better in my own language. I´m sure you agree with me its a shame for those guys wich use RavenNuke, this support and ignore the donation block completely in the land of plenty... Shocked

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

I've held off replying because I didn't want it to look like you were coerced in any way to say what you said. I truly thank everyone who has contributed in the past and to those who regularly contribute and to those that will contribute. I know it's a hard thing sometimes due to a person's situation. Yes, I have fallen short way more often than I meet the goal. That monthly amount is not an arbitrary amount. It does not cover my monthly costs and I have explained this in the past so I won't bore you all again Wink

Suffice it to say that w/o the contributions and side work, this site would probably close. And, I have way more side work that comes my way than I can handle. When I was younger and not on disability I could keep up. Now I end up turning more away than I keep due to my Narcolepsy.

I have been running short for too long as I am on disability retirement which is a very fixed income. I have to pay over $800/month for medical in addition to many other expenses. Everyone has their own story to tell so I don't want you to think I don't understand - I do.

This is not meant as a doomsday prediction Smile. I have every intention of doing whatever it takes to keep this site thriving as long as there is interest. And with the spectacular Team that take care of the Forums, I thank God daily for their willingness and sacrifices that I know they give.

Just a final word (I promise). While there are many bots/spiders that crawl this site there are many real visitors and members. More than enough to meet my monthly goals/needs if, as you say, the site was supported for $5/month from all. There are some who do support regularly and some who donate much more than $5. And, I do try on an annual basis to give back to my Administrators and Moderators. So, while they are not a "paid" staff, they are a value added Team that are compensated as best I can.

wiz
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote

I like the touch..security forum

I must thank not only Selma for a very interesting read, but also Raven. Definately a thread worth reading. And if this site was to close, then that would interject into the security of many sites worldwide, as a lot of people simply wouldn't know where to find expert answers to their php-nuke troubles.
And there are many problems..problems that take minutes to solve, thanks to a website somewhere, you might have heard about it...ravenphpscripts.com

selma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Raven

for making this a sticky. Smile

For the work you do here, and as many people as you all help, I feel a bit embarrassed that you should have to say a word about this issue at all.

I for one would love it if you just opened up one morning and found...
a trillion dollars in the treasury!

This is certainly not an original idea, you've all seen little hints thrown in at the end of help requests about supporting the site with our dollars. Thing is, sometimes you just have to come out and say a thing plainly. And since I have a notoriously big mouth, figured I might as well use it for something good Smile

I certainly won't make any apologies for stating what is obvious to a lot more intelligent minds than my own.

So, no maudlin long rants, but ...

Come one folks, lets put that little bit of 711 Slurpie change into something that really matters to an awful lot of us.

Raven et al, don't give up on us... We'll all get it together and start showing how much we appreciate the hard work and effort represented here.

I spend way too much time dealing with one itty bitty active site, so I'm almost afraid to think of the time it takes you to keep this battened down, safe and always running.

Users, especially if you are men, I know that commitment thing is hard on you, but this one is Okay ... You can still go on other security sites, make comments in other forums, nothing exclusive.

$5 - 12 times or once a month - anytime between the first day and the last day. You don't even have to commit to a specific day!

$10 - 6 times or every other month - easier still.

$20 - 3 times - once every 4 months - ok now you don't even have to remember!!!

Just think about how GOOD you're going to feel the next time you come in here searching for answers - when you know you did the right thing Smile

p.s. Wiz - glad you noticed the placement significance, and thanks for the support comments.

p.p.s For all the people who have always supported this site, thanks for showing the way and helping us have a security home.

wiz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Wave

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote

RavensScripts

When I first came here I didn't even know what I didn't know. Thanks to Raven and everyone sharing in this space, my universe rocks with the best cms, ever!

Click the RN donate button now ... you know you want to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote

I love this woman! wuvUbaby

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Watch out, Margie!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic