Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues
Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Any way to get this module to send PM's instead of emails?

Oh, and how do users subscribe to newletter if they did not choose this at account setup?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote

PMs use the forums, which have bbcode, not HTML. Changing that might be significant. They can change the newsletter flag on their account at any time. There is also a mailing list module from nukescripts.net that lets you request sign up for multiple newsletters by subject, but I'm not sure if it's integrated with HTML newsletter.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote

No, NSN Mailing List is not integrated with HTML Newsletter. I have had a similar functionality on my list of "to dos" for the HTML Newsletter for years but been working too much on RN and these forums... LOL.

BTW, as kguske said with regards to the PM's.

Kind of curious, though, as to what you are trying to do and why. Do you mind sharing more detail about that?

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

HTML newsletter integrates very nicely with NSNgroups. When you create a HTML newsletter you can send it to any of your NSNgroups. The real problem, in my opinion, is that maintaining NSNgroups is a p.i.t.a. The add users screen is an abomination unless you have, say, less than 50 users on your site. If we improved NSNgroups as part of RN so that you could easily see which users are in which groups and which groups "contain" which users and easily add and delete users from groups, it would go a long way towards improving the "mailing list" functionality without adding a whole new module on. Just a matter of time and effort.

Doulos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
They can change the newsletter flag on their account at any time.

Ok, thanks, I didn't see that before.

montego wrote:
Kind of curious, though, as to what you are trying to do and why. Do you mind sharing more detail about that?

I just wanted to find a way to send important information to a group of people and was testing the newsletter and accidently sent it to all registered users instead of just to admin. The reason I wanted to use PM's instead of email is because users can still go in after they register and change their email to a fake one, last I heard. Anyway to NOT allow users to change their email address? I received over 200 out of 550+ emails back as 'undeliverable'. Plus, a lot of people apparently get a free email account just to sign up, then never check it again - even though our TOS requires a 'real' email address be maintained for each user.

montego

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Plus, a lot of people apparently get a free email account just to sign up, then never check it again - even though our TOS requires a 'real' email address be maintained for each user.

This is one of the reasons why some have written code to restrict the use of these free email addies. But, who can keep up with it all? Unfortunately, IMO, it is just a cost of doing "business" on the internet. Its unfortunately, yes, but look at it from your own personal perspective. Do you really want all these sites to have your "good" email addy? I don't.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic