Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Canadaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote

I have been running phpnuke with use of the integrated phpbb forums since early 2001. With all its flaws, I like Phpnuke, and won't be moving away from it anytime soon.

But as my site continues to grow and the forums become more active, the site gets slower and slower. I have spent endless hours trying to tweak the code to reduce queries, cache things, tweak server settings.

But I think for the forums one of the largest hits is its integration with phpnuke and all the overhead and bloat it ads to each page load.

I am starting to think I might be better off separating the phpbb from phpnuke and running normal phpbb and somehow just sharing the same users table.

So my questions are... do you think this would save much queries, improve performance? Has anyone done this? Is there an existing mods to link a standalone phpbb to the phpnuke users?

It would sure make adding phpbb mods a lot easier. Rather than hacking phpbb mods to piece them into phpnuke.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote

I think it could save you the queries that Nuke runs. I'm surprised though if you need to stretch to save queries to speed up your site.

I've seen this requested a few times, but I've not seen a project that has gotten an independent phpBB working through the Nuke tables successfully.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Canadaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote

hmm, yah did some searching myself and could not find anything. You'd think it would have been done by now. Its not just the Queries, its all the PHP processing that nuke does as well.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote

What version of Nuke are you running?

I'm guessing that you have been running you're site for a while so it's probably not RN2.10, so it might be worth considering upgrading. A lot of work has gone in to improving the speed of the site, by reducing queries and processing etc.

Canadaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote

yah i hanv't updated my "core" nuke since maybe the start of 2006?
I ahve made some many mods and my own tweaks, it would bit of a nightmare.

But if you say RN has considerable permance increase, it might be worth it.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote

If you need to run Nuke plus you need to run the Forums, I doubt you are going to get any performance increase by separating them. 1 + 1 = 2 or 2 = 2, it's all the same. I also don't think that Forums adds any appreciable overhead when you are running "normal" Nuke modules, such as news. Nor do I think that the overhead of Nuke adds that much to slow down PHPBB when it's run integrated. Plus, by the time you figure out how to hack the users table to share it, you will have done much of the work that the PHPBB to Nuke integration people did (and do on an ongoing basis).

The RN performance improvements are addressed in Raven's announcement of the product and in various forums here. They do address both queries and general PHP overhead. Probably the improvements for the latter are more significant in 2.10 but reducing query overhead is on our radar for the future. There is a lot of "low hanging fruit" in the query area but we have to be careful about compatibility with 3rd party modules and any security implications as well as maintaining the general reliability of the product when making real "core" changes.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote

Canadaka, how often do you optimize your tables? I am also inclined to think that maybe you have a missing index somewhere.

Raven has a pretty active set of forums here with tons of posts, so, unless your site is magnitudes more active than here, my "gut" is telling me that it is something else.

jakec

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:

my "gut" is telling me that it is something else.

I was wondering the same thing. Are you on a shared server? It could be your host is overselling and the resources are being used up.

redhairz
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Canadaka wrote:
yah i hanv't updated my "core" nuke since maybe the start of 2006?
I ahve made some many mods and my own tweaks, it would bit of a nightmare.

But if you say RN has considerable permance increase, it might be worth it.

your site is beautiful how i wish raven team could come out a nice theme like canadaka nuke. without using Autotheme at least we can bring back more user from wordpress, mambo and other open source. sorry off Topic admin. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic