Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Is there a way to prevent users from deleting the email address they registered with? What good is requiring a valid email address to register if the user can just immediately delete it?

One of my users did so, and the only thing I could think of to do was suspend his account until he contacts me.

Anything?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I suppose you could make the email address read-only or remove it from the profile update page altogether.

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote

I've had this deleting email issue too... and I think the empty fields don't help if you send out newsletters. :/

Unfortunately, removing the ability to change an email address limits the legitimate users who really do need to change their email address.

I've thought about writing a Change Email module. In the places where the email address can be changed I would make those fields read only and then provide a link to another form with two fields, old email address and new email address. The form would only be available from the link inside YA or Profiles, not from a menu. The script would check the old address with what's already in the database and then, if everything is groovy, update the record with the new address... and send admin a notification email.

The other thing that makes me crazy is bouncing emails. IOW, someone changes their email address everywhere else except on my website. Then mail starts bouncing. So, thanks to the ever wonderful and miraculous Groups, I created a big center block which states YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS and your account is subject to suspension in X days. Also, they need to inform admin of the update, so I can remove them from the group. I put all the bouncers/empties in that group so each time they login they get the message. Smile It works like a charm and for those who don't fix their email ... well, I don't want them on the site anyways.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote

CodyG, that is a phenominal idea! I LOVE IT!

Doulos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote

OK, I am revisiting this. I have been unable to figure out how to disallow email address changes. Could someone give me an idea of where to look?

montego

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote

I think changes in email addresses should require re-authentication and validation. Although this can still be thwarted with disposable email addresses, it might be a step in the right direction.

I have added it to our RavenNuke tracker for future consideration, but, unfortunately I have not the time at the moment to address.

BTW, I seem to recall having to change my email address on [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] at one point and it put me through the re-validation process??????? Sorry.... memory might be bad. But, if it is true, then I wonder if the hack was ever made available.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote

phpBB does it with user-activation on. But I don't believe phpNuke's default Your_Account will reauthenticate

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic