Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:56 am Reply with quote

The Spammers have GOT my number for whatever reason. I am deleting 10 plus accounts a day from these fools.

My question is does anyone know where there is User Account MOD that I can delete the account and ban the IP in one stroke?

Here is what I am thinking. I use Ravens Info Block....when I hit "New Today" or "New Yesterday" I would like to get the list and at the end of the list, I would like the IP address and drop down that says....Delete....Delete and Ban IP. Once completed....I would like it to return to the same page.

Does this already exist somewhere or do I need to sit down and create it?

I can not be the only one putting up with these Akaching!O's . Enough is enough already!

Dawg

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote

no it doesnt exist....so you have sit down and create it.. Sad
but ms analysis pro lets you easely delete users.and it shows the ip easely...
could be a solution...

Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Well....

I tell ya what.....If You guys don't mind helping me along with it. I will do just that! I already know (I think) how to do the IP and the delete thing. What I don't know how to do is the ban IP thing.

If you happen to know where a chuck of code is for banning the IP and writing it to a htaccess file is (I know it is in Sentinal somewhere) I will sit down and tap this puppy out! Cause these Akaching!O's have got to GO! OF coarse what ever I build will be detailed here and avaible GPL.

Thanks!

Dawg

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Function admin_bann_ip($ip){
global $db, $prefix, $admin;

//block them through SQL
$sql='INSERT INTO '.$prefix.'_nsnst_blocked_ips VALUES(\''.$ip.'\',\'1\',\'\',\'\',\'\',\'Banned by ADMIN\',\'11\',\'\',\'\',\'\',\'\',\'\',\''.$ip.'\',\'\',\'\',0,\'\')';
$sql=stripslashes($sql);
$result=$db->sql_query($sql);

//Write them to .htaccess
if(file_exists('.htaccess')){
$fp = fopen (".htaccess", "a");
fwrite ($fp, "deny from $ip\n");
fclose ($fp);
}
}

Theres a function I just wrote for you, tested as well. This will write them to the database and to the .htaccess, now all you need to do is create a script that you put there ip in, somehow, perferably a $_post method, and then insert their ip into this function. Easy as pie now.

Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote

I had a couple recent attacks using news comments. I only allowed comments for registered users. So of course the idiots registered and spammed old articles where their spam might not be so apparent right away. Once I caught it I banned them and deleted their userids. However, in going thru the comments one thing I saw is that they used a different IP for every comment ... pretty much anyway. So banning IP's is not going to be the end of it.

One approach, which I've taken (at least temporarily) is to shut off comments for news articles. At least that way they can't hide them in old articles. A better YA modules, somewhat along the lines of Approve Membership but not requiring changes to core tables or code would be one step towards a longer term solution. There could also be some "artificial" intelligence put into comments filters so if someone starts adding a half dozen comments or more in a short period of time they at least get brought to an admin's attention, if not banned.

gregexp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote

a captcha system would be a nice addition as well.

Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Dark,
Thank You for the code. I will be gone tomorrow all day but I will tinker with it over the next couple of days and see if I can piece it together.

Are they using scripts to register these accounts? I do not think so....but would not be suprized.

Banning their IP may not completly stop them...but it is someplace to start.

Dawg

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote

Dawg, check your access logs too and see if their referrer is blank or "-". If so, I stopped an unsophisticated spammer recently who was submitting tons of web links (stupid... how this person would think that I would approve them or let anyone post anything... he didn't get the "hint"). Each time was a new IP, so either using proxies, compromised servers, or ?????

Anyways, since a normal user would be clicking links from YOUR site to add comments (or in my case Web Links) as apposed to using some automated "bot", I used this to stop him:

#
# Try to stop Add Links from external sources
#
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^(.*)name=Web_Links(.*)
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^$
RewriteRule ^.*$ [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [R=301,L]

After I added this to my .htaccess, NO MORE of these !@#$%^ links to delete.

You may be able to adapt the concept to your situation.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote

Perhaps this is something Guardian can incorporate in his SpamBlocker module?

Also his Comments module is useful for reviewing comments received, again maybe some of this could be incoporated in this?

Guardian?

montego

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote

I have been contemplating that as well. The thing is, it might be difficult to generalize. I really want to limit the "submission" process to internal links only and I may still work on that, but then you have to realize that search engine's are also potentially caching those !@#$^& admin/submit type links... Something more to think about... hhhmmmmmm.....

Idea

gregexp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote

How bout a cookie check for the bots on the submittion??
If you block referrers from other pages, the hackers will use anther bot that goes through the site, but no bot I know of can except cookies, and if they try to submit something, use a cookie check and block them if cookie is not Generated, Just block them from submitting, I wouldnt block them completely.
Just a thought.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote

If the client isn't using an actual browser, rather a script, then a cookie won't do much.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
gregexp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Evaders, I was thinking that if the cookie Could not be found after trying to set it, kill the script, dont block so google and such can still get through, but make it so the script wont process if cookies are not turned on.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote

However, I could write a quick VB app that would use the IE APIs and essentially use IE's core to do whatever the heck I want in an automated fashion... (at least I think it would be possible...) I am seeing alot of "Mozilla" user agent entries in my access logs that I am suspicious about (just based on their "pattern of travel").

Not really sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, or if I am really just needing a very long vacation...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic