Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
sonicman
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Is this version still going to have the gallery module, or should I look to use coppermine or gallery, I am waiting for the 10/01/06 release of raven nuke. I want to add a photo gallery to my site

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote

No. Due to issues with both security and server idiosyncracies, I decided against including it.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote

I've spent much of the last week dealing with some of the idiosyncracies that Raven referred to with Gallery 2.1 on Ravennuke 2.02. And as soon as I'm done here I'm going back to my test site to restore my albums that got fouled up in the process. So I'm not a dewy eyed advocate for Gallery.

That said there is a process for installing Gallery on RN and I will be happy to help you with it when it gets to that time. You basically have to stick their tar.gz file in the /modules directory (and you really have to get it in THAT place to avoid disaster) and then unpack it and run the install. Also you have to get your permissions right on the data directory. It's just my private opinion but there would be very little, if any, value added by including Gallery in RN. You'd still have to run their 13 step installation procedure separately and since they are constantly updating their tar.gz file we'd have to be concerned with keeping the RN distribution up with that.

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote

And get more info here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote

Yes Gallery 1 was very simple to install and integrated into phpNuke very well.

Gallery 2 will need the integration package from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
sonicman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote

Will the coppermine gallery work with raven nuke, I have an older version of coppermine, is there a site I can get an updated copy of coppermine that will work with raven nuke

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote

I know how to integrate the packages and have done so on several occasions Smile. The issues are mainly with setting (and having to have your host reset) the permissions and ownership of the files. Until I see those things cleared up, integrating the package(s) would just be a maintenance nightmare for us here at the site.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote

sonicman wrote:
Will the coppermine gallery work with raven nuke, I have an older version of coppermine, is there a site I can get an updated copy of coppermine that will work with raven nuke

RavenNuke(tm) is phpNuke v7.6 with enhancements. Therefore, whatever works in v7.6 phpNuke will work in RavenNuke(tm). The only caveat is that we are cleaning up the core code as we go along so there could be some tweaking of 3rd party applications here and there.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Today I upgraded my production site (RN2.02), which has Gallery 2.1, to RN 2.10. Other problems have been reported elsewhere but I want to mention this one here. Basically, one common problem with Gallery is that the permissions to the data directory (where it stores the albums) get munged. They appear to need to be 777 but even that's an oversimplification; it depends on a "host" (no pun intended) of factors.

My gallery on this site had been working properly for over a year and I deliberately did not change any of the Gallery files or tables during the upgrade. But sure enough I couldn't access Gallery after the upgrade and my Gallery data directory did not have the right permissions.

Now, the standard Gallery support response to this is to tell you to "recursively chmod" the permissions on your gallery data directory to 777. Problem is that this is a command users don't have access to. You can change the individual directories and files but there's a catch: there are literally thousands of files. I started googling "ftp recursive chmod" and tried a few ftp clients (one was filezilla but I can't figure out how to run that command there) before I stumbled up smartftp. That did the job for me, but I have to say it probably took a half hour to go command by command thru all the directories and files, just emphasizing how impossible a task it is to do by hand.

Oh, and I had asked Ipowerweb to do this for me but I might as well have been talking Greek to the 6th grade idiot they had on their help desk.

I've had this same problem with permissions getting munged on one of Raven's servers, and I've seen the problem in many forums posts in Gallery, so I'd highly recommend that if you use Gallery you arm yourself with a FTP client, such as SmartFTP, that allows you to recursively chmod an entire directory structure.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Here's a handy-dandy little diddy to automate what you have to do.

Code:
find $DIR -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod $FILEMODES

find $DIR -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod $DIRMODES

The "-print0" and "-0" are GNU options, so not portable everywhere,
but makes it easy to handle names with spaces in them. (Samba shares
and the likes.)

Using "xargs" allows for very large directory trees.  As xargs
will fork() the command every time it reaches max argv size.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote

You could probably call chmod() from within PHP.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Would have to get a list of directories from within PHP somehow before calling chmod() on all of them.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Probably but I'm not sure. Gallery provides a utility to try to do that but it doesn't seem to have the permissions to succeed so I'm not sure that something that I would write would work. At any rate, Smartftp did the job and it's just a couple of mouse clicks to do an entire directory structure. Anyone running Gallery should probably arm themselves with this tool just in case.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote

WS FTP Pro would do it to and I think FlashFTP anf FileZilla have this functionality to recursively chmod directories.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote

FileZilla does not, but CoreFTP and FlashFTP are both free FTP clients with recursive capabilities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic