Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
backlacsh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Hello! Smile

Got a couple of newbie questions. Firstly, I can't subscribe users. From the user admin panel, I can click the bullet and click save, but when I check the account again, it's still set to no.
Secondly, does subscribing users mean that they will receive emails of posts made in the forum? That's what I'm really trying to accomplish. Many of the users who are going to be using my forums are using Yahoo Groups, which sends users emails for every post. I don't want them to have to get accustomed to checking the site to look for new posts.

P.S. I've had quite a few problems setting up this software and have found the answers to most questions in these forums. I appreciate your friendlyness and helpfulness that you show to your members and visitors.

Thanks in advance!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote

What is set to no? Normally, users subscribe themselves. Are you saying that you can't manually add users?

If a user posts a message, (s)he will receive an email for all future responses IF the user has selected that in the user preferences. You may also add an addon called Watch this Forum that enables users to receive an email whenever a message is posted to that forum. Again, the user chooses that, not the admin and not everyone will receive it.

If you wish to communicate to all registered users, you can use the newsletter function for that (or, even better, choose a great addon like Montego's HTML Newsletter).

Frankly, I'd prefer to not receive emails for every post like Yahoo Groups - that is annoying to no end.

backlacsh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
What is set to no? Normally, users subscribe themselves. Are you saying that you can't manually add users?

In the Admin Menu under User Administration, one of the options is "Subscribe User?" If I look up a user to modify, then set it to yes, it doesn't save it. I've also tried to subscribe myself, but the 'Your Account' section always says, "You are not subscriber of .... User NOT Subscribed." What does sibscribing do? Is it possibly a mod or patch I don't have installed?

kguske wrote:
If a user posts a message, (s)he will receive an email for all future responses IF the user has selected that in the user preferences. You may also add an addon called Watch this Forum that enables users to receive an email whenever a message is posted to that forum. Again, the user chooses that, not the admin and not everyone will receive it.

Thank you. I'll install "Watch this Forum." It sounds like what I really need.

kguske wrote:
Frankly, I'd prefer to not receive emails for every post like Yahoo Groups - that is annoying to no end.

I agree, the only reason I'm setting this feature up is to help ppl migrate from the Yahoo single thread forums. I'm sure they would choose to stop recieving messages via email after the forums get busy. For now, I'm having to give them something comparable to what they currently have.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote

As kguske wrote, users normally subscribe themselves.
In the context of phpnuke, you should think or 'subscription' as 'access permissions driven from a payment'.

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

With or without payment it´s works perfectly in RavenNuke. All you need is to click in the modules administration on users - choose the nickname - update user - Subscribe User= Yes, Subscribtion Period = 1 Year. Afterthat the user gets automatically an email:
-----------------------

Hello John!

This is an automated email to let you know that your subscription to our website's advertising removal has been activated starting from now and will be valid for 1 year(s).

The next time you visit our site, if you're logged in you'll notice that you'll not see any advertising at all, so you can browse our services without any distraction and in a more clean and confortable environment.

Hope you like this service...
Thanks for your support,

mysite.de

--------------------

Through the config.php it´s possible to set the subscribtion url.

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote

did u do any addons or ANYTHING that may have resulted in the usertable not being setup properly?

this includes anything that adds information to that table

also make sure u have the module ur subscribing them to active...im assuming newsletter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote

Now that you all have informed me of what subscribing a user is ment for, I realize it's doesn't pertain to my forums. Also, it wasn't letting me set it because I wasn't giving it a time to subscribe. I was hoping not changing it would subscribe them permenatly, but apparently you have to choose how long they are subscribed.

Thank you all for your help!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic