Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
morphina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote

hi all, i'm very new to this forum and community but I heard there's lots of skilled ppl on these neck of the woods, so I thought i might ask,

it'd be great if anyone could help... [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] <-- 1 of 5 sites running the same thing.

as our lasnite galleries grew we had to install zend optimizer and mod_gzip and tweak httpd.conf a bit (well, we sounds like a lot of ppl, actually I did it), i also removed most html comments from the page that we're using to model the rest of the sites with as all of them are php-nuke sites. We're using adpeeps to handle our ads(fastest ad server out there).. well to the point...

the page loads slowly not becuae of the server, because i cached a page and I accessed it and it loaded with the same speed as the one created by index.php, so it is not server load the cuase, everything loads fast and nice with mozilla firefox, but with IE it goes nuts it load the header, then stops for about 8 seconds and then shows all teh content.

i read that the use of tables slows down this by a lot, the page ha sto be fully loaded in order for IE to know what to do with it and how to display the page (IE sucks; but sady its 70% of our audience) so using netmechanic, we found out that its the use of html in the page slowing down internet explorer---> to the other point.

I heard that using table-fixed property in tables would speed up the thing; it did not :S

I don't know if I've tried everything yet, but i'm very open to suggestions..

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote

Hi,the below is a table of time it takes for your website to load.
and below that are suggestions what you could do.
It doesnt automatically means something is wrong.
Ive checked your site in firefox and IE and i did saw how it loads in IE,but ive seen that at so many sites.
I do believe your site has a lot of active contents that has to be loaded.

14.4K - 376.27 seconds
28.8K -188.23 seconds
33.6K - 161.37 seconds
56K - 96.90 seconds
ISDN 128K - 29.82 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps - 2.77 seconds

* TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 69 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
* TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 56 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
* TOTAL_MULTIM - Caution. The total number of external multimedia files on this page is 4 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number or eliminate them altogether. Ideally you should have one (or zero) multimedia file on your page.
* TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 485215 bytes, which will load in 96.90 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.
* TOTAL_SCRIPT - Caution. The total number of external script files on this page is 6 , consider reducing this to one or two. Combine, refine, and optimize your external script files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages.
* IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 398502 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.
* MULTIM_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your external multimedia is 59967 bytes, which is over 20K. Consider optimizing your multimedia files for size, or replacing them with lower-bandwidth alternatives, or eliminating them altogether.

morphina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote

yeah i was checking that out with one of those online html benchmark tools, quite helpfull actually; now...my page has a lot of active content; but so does nicaragua.2night.com and it seems to load great on internet explorer, i just wish internet explorer would load the same way as mozilla firefox and I heard tables where teh problem here, not really active content. since I've tried optimizing most images and removing some even after I ran that benchmark, it did it increase the load time firefox, but still IE has the same problem Sad

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote

well what youshould try is to disable your content on your index one by one.
Tables shouldnt give any problem,if loading in firefox goes faster then in IE shouldnt automatically mean there's something wrong.
Just disable your blocks one by one and after every block you disable check the loading time,als check it all out with nuke standard theme.

morphina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote

I tried that and it didnt speed it up, except for about a few ms... I read that IE waits for the entire content to be loaded so that It will know how wide to rnder the tables and firefox has a different algorythm; which is mdsn encourages ppl to use table layout fixed so that it will render it without waiting for content. but it doesnt seem to work Sad are there any css based themes that dont use tables and just css to work the layout?

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote

well thats 64bitguy "steph" territory.
so i suggest you give him a pm.
Im sure he will help you to solve this...Smile

morphina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote

cool cool, certainly will do!

thanks!
--after edit

is it possible to make a tableless php-nuke and using minimal tables and just css?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic