Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
NoFantasy
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote

I've been asked to build a website for a musician. I have it mostly clear how it should be, witch modules, what layout and so on. The site will be international, and have a potentional to gain a userbase of maybe up to 500 users in half a year, maybe 1000 (hard to estimate, numbers are based on similar sites).

The last thing (should probably been the first) i need to decide, is witch nuke-version i should use for this project.

I have experience with 7.5 and that seems to be an easy version in-use. As far as i have read, both the 7.7 and 7.8 is questionable. Does this mean I should choose between 7.5 and 7.6? Should I wait until the upcoming 7.8-afterpatched is released?

What benefits would i get from using 7.6 instead of 7.5?

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quote

well personaly i would choose 7.6 patched.
You can get get that in ravens download as patched 3.1
Or you can wait for steph's afterpatched version...
A lot of choices...

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:04 am Reply with quote

Is there an obvious benefit using 7.6 instead of 7.5? Speed? Layout? Adjustments? Security?

And yes, i always intend to implement newest patches.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote

well as im dutch its not always that easy to explain why this or why that...
but i always used the 6.5 cause that was the best for a long time.
all newer versions didnt convinced me to upgrade so i waited...
and that was the 7.6,simply because it didnt had errors/bugs or whatever...
i never had a complaint about it,and on the running site i never expierienced anything weird...,i mean as a working cms.
im not talking about security.. Smile

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote

I agree with Hitwalker, 7.6 patched to 3.1 + the latest Nuke Sentinel is currently the best all around option. Too many bugs and security holes in 7.7 - 7.8 and anything below 7.1 is no longer being patched (just too many versions). That is my 2 cents worth (inflation hasn't hit the open source community yet!).

Regards,
montego

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:19 am Reply with quote

So, in basic, the 7.5 is like a pre-7.6?
I guess it's time for me to have a closer look at the 7.6.

Is there a insightful comparison of the nuke-versions somewhere? Maybe Raven has to write one, hehe.

And, no worries about the language hitwalker, i'm even further north than you...be grateful i'm not writing in norwegian Smile

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote

well you dont get me that easely ,i just grab a translator.......lol

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote

There are comparisons all over the place, but to give you a quick summary, 7.5 was an interrum version that first introduced moving administration functions from the admin directory into the modules themselves. Additionally, there were mainfile and Your_Account module changes.

Soon after the release of 7.5 (when the community basically went into shock about how screwed up things were) Chatserv (the developer of "Patched") and others got together with FB to fix these problems and to incorporate a bunch of fixes into PHP-Nuke 7.6.

Today, many new module revisions require PHP-Nuke 7.6 including things like the new Approve Membership Module. The reasson being is that it is too much of a pain in the tail to recode solutions specifically for only the PHP-Nuke 7.5 version. Other modules that are not too particular about the mainfile and Your_Account differences of 7.5 don't have this issue, but regardless, I would only endorse using 7.6 Patched 3.1 for these and other issues relative to 7.5 being only what I would call a "temporary" version. Again, in my humble opinion, too many fixes and improvements have been incorporated into 7.6 to even consider 7.5 as an option.

Hope this helps.
Steph

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote

This helps alot, just the insightful answer I was looking for.

Finding a platform and stick to it, is much more important to me, than to run down nukephp.org whenever they decide to release a newer "improved" version.

Themis
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Just the post I needed to read. Thanks much! RavensScripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic