Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
NoFantasy
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote

Since my webspace has only 150mb space, I try to keep it clean from files not in use. Yesterday i noticed the size of the database in use for my Nuke 7.5-installation. It was 25mb. A closer look at the table nuke_bbsearch_wordmatch showed that 16.5mb data was stored there.

Is this normal? Should i do anything about it? If so, what needs to be done?

Currently I have 700 registered users written 8500 posts in 1100 threads in the phpBB-module.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote

That could be normal, but 2K per message seems high. The table is used for searching the forums. I supposed you could remove it if you replace the forum search with Google or a slower search.

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Ok, i see. Don't wanna replace the forum-search. Guess i should keep it as it is then.

The database itself is old, back to late 2002 when i used standalone phpBB. Time to clean-up? Is it somehow possible to rebuild the table?

I guess 'only' 800.000 lines in this table, makes no differense to the speed anyway...haven't noticed anything yet, it's mostly because of the size of it i wanted to do something.

Xiode
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote

If it has been ported to nuke then I don't see the problem with dropping the table and using the SQL that comes with nuke to build fresh ones?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote

I haven't seen any scripts or SQL to rebuild the table.

Xiode

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Go into my PHPMyAdmin Drop the table and use the SQL file that comes with nuke to run the querry to rebuild the table. I have had to do it with other tables after installing bad modules. Like nuke_blocks. I had to reload that do to some changes in it.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Using the SQL that comes with Nuke won't rebuild the search data corresponding to your 8500 posts. Search won't work correctly for any posts before dropping the table.

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote

Dropping and build the table itself is a start, but as kguske says, it needs to rebuild the data too.

I came across an old post at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] covering this issue, but of course the link to the rebuild-script is dead Bang Head

Guess some of the old-time-nukers has done this before? I'm probably not the only one with overgrown databasetables, so any search for this script would be of great help. Let's hope Chatserv never cleans his harddrive and still have the script around Laughing

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote

Wohaa!
This is getting somewhere. I found this at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] The script will rebuild the whole search-thingy.
Next step is to test it and verify that it actually works on Nuke-db. Anyone care to try?
I don't want to screw up my already-in-use-and-working-site, some of you guys might have a test-site for try-outs?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:49 am Reply with quote

You could compare the table structures from the file to what you have in your nuke DB - that might give you a clue.
My own DB is over 60Mb in size. The bb search field is very large but you might want to also check the tables for other modules like IP tracking which can store huge amounts of data depending on how they have been configured.

Session tables too can get pretty big sometimes.

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote

Great information all around, but the issue here is not the structure or need to rebuild the nuke_bbsearch_wordmatch, just how large it is. I may be mistaken, but it seems rebuilding it will not impact the size - if the rebuild works correctly, the table will be the same size.

NoFantasy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote

I guess you are right in that last statement kguske...at least until otherwise is proven. Some has even doubled the size of nuke_bbsearch_wordmatch-tables by running this rebuild-script.

Maybe it's time to DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `nuke_bbsearch_wordmatch` and take a look at other search-methods afterall Rolling Eyes ...or to buy more webspace.

Thanks for helping out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic