Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
Caedus
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm using Sentinel 1.20.

When someone gets blocked they get a message once, and after that they just can't access the domain anymore. I would like to change the text in the message. I is like this:
Quote:
This IP has been blocked from ***

Your IP: ***
Your Agent: ***

If you think it was blocked by mistake, please contact

Also I would like blocked visitors to get that page everytime they try to visit the site in stead of:
Quote:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Any suggestions?

EDIT
And a small question: if the setting "Block" is off, does that mean the attempt isn't prevented or does that mean that the ip adres isn't saved?

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote

You can edit the messages displayed in the abuse directory are the templates pretty much just basic html.

The permission denied is your Apache error handler you can if you have access customize that message or not use the htaccess ban then blocked users will get the abuse page for the specific blocker that was fired off.

Block means block access to the site. This is all covered in depth in the manual.

Caedus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote

No template files in mine abuse dir. The only files I've in there are:
.htaccess
abuse.php
abuse.swf
GanjaUKevil.swf
index.html

You're sure there should be template files with the 1.20 version?

And about the settings, the manual states this with the email setting:
Quote:
Email Admin - Sends an email to the Admin(s) listed in the NukeSentinel™ Administration page

So my conclusion would be that it doesn't block the attack, it just sends me an email. However that seems not logical. So does it just block that one attack and nothing more?

JRSweets
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote

You should really upgrade to 2.1.3
You are using a real old version.

The tpl files began with 2.0 I think.

Caedus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Maybe so, but I won't upgrade just for the error message, I just want an answer on my questions.

I don't think it's worth all the trouble upgrading. Is there any significant reason why I should upgrade? Is for example, my version not capable of blocking hackers when compared to the newest version? I'm using nuke 6.9 btw.

JRSweets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Well Six provided the answer to one of your questions. Don't set the ip address to be written to .htaccess . You would then have to remove any entry already there. That would stop the forbidden message.

I am not sure how to change the display in 1.2 because the newest uses simple tpl files.

I am pretty sure that the newest version 2.1.3 is faster, more secure, and protects your site better, but Raven, Bob, or six would have to confirm this.

Caedus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote

Hmm, ok I will have to think about it. One more thing though: is the newest version more user friendly or does it look more complex compared to the older ones?

JRSweets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote

No it very user friendly. Every option has a "?" that when you are putting your mouse over it, it explains the feature.

Caedus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Ah ok. Well, I think I will try it out. Problem is, that I've tweaked my sentinel system, so that all my sites use the same installation and database.

I've still this question though: does the 'Email admin' setting only email when a hack is attempted, or does it also block the attack?

JRSweets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote

This is from the sentinel manual
Quote:
Off - Turns off this protection method
Email Admin - Sends an email to the Admin(s) listed in the NukeSentinel™ Administration page
Forward - Forwards the attacker to the URL listed in the Forward to.
Default Page - Sends the attacker to the default NukeSentinel™ banned page
Email & Forward - Sends an email, and forwards attacker to the URL
Email & Default Page - Sends an email and sends attacker to the default page
Email, Block & Forward - Sends an email, blocks the IP by adding to .htaccess and the database, and forwards to the URL
Email, Block, & Default Page - Sends an email, blocks the IP by adding to .htaccess and the database, and sends the attacker to the default page

As long as its not turned to "off" the attack will be blocked. If you set it to 'Email Admin' the hack will be blocked and you will be notified.

Deseroka
Client

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm so thankful for people with patience. Wink

Caedus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Yo Deseroka, as I wrote a few posts before, if it just says 'Sends an email' how can I know for sure that it also blocks the attack?

Anyway, JRSweets, do not think I don't appreciate your patience, 'cause I do Wink! Thanks for all the info!

JRSweets

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote

Have someone try a exploit and set it to "Send an email". And see what it does.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic