Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote

If your site is targeted for spammers, and you'd like to take some of the load off nukeSPAM or reduce server load of calls to spam blocking databases, it's interesting to note that many spammers are repeat offenders and don't bother changing IP addresses.

A recent analysis of such a site yielded over 100 IPs that had been blocked more than 5 times, with one persistent prick failing over 200 times! This group accounted for almost 40% of blocked registration attempts.

Here's the SQL I used to identify the repeat offenders (maybe we can add some analytics like this to a future version of nukeSPAM, but for now, your favorite SQL tool will do):

sql Code:
SELECT INET_NTOA( ip ) , COUNT( * ) 

FROM `nuke_spam_log`
GROUP BY INET_NTOA( ip )
HAVING COUNT( * ) >5
ORDER BY INET_NTOA( ip )

Then, I exported this to CSV, prefixed the IP with "deny from " in LibreOffice Calc, and pasted it to the end of .htaccess. You can change the minimum count to some other number, but be aware that having too many blocked IPs can affect site performance. You should also be careful not to block valid search engine IPs that have been spoofed.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote

A correction: since the repeat offender's IP address is logged, nukeSPAM will not call the spam blocking databases again if configured appropriately. It will recognize the previously blocked address and block again.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for this information. I didn't have the time to check this but it could be true!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic