Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> nukeFeed/FeedCreator
spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Well I have to say I went awhile without checking the admin email address associated with one of my sites, and found 34,711 nukesentinel bans for links associated with using feedburner with nukeFEED. Shocked Embarassed

Appears that NukeSentinel doesn't like how feedburner is appending the URL's of the feeds. For instance:

forums.html?file=viewtopic&p=41202&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+YourFeedTitle-MoreFeedInfo+%28more+stuff+here%29#41202

I have to say I like the feedburner service but am undecided on my course of action...

try clicking a link in here [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Last edited by spasticdonkey on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total 
jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote

What reason is NS giving for the ban?

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Date & Time: 2010-01-07 16:41:54 EST GMT -0500
Blocked IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
User ID: Anonymous (1)
Reason: Abuse-Script
--------------------
Referer: none
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP Host: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Script Name: /modules.php
Query String: name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=41354&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+somestuffaboutyourfeed-somemorestuff+(more+info+more+info)
Get String: name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=41354&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+somestuffaboutyourfeed-somemorestuff+(more+info+more+info)
Post String: Not Available
Forwarded For: none
Client IP: none
Remote Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Remote Port: 12339
Request Method: GET

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure if kguske missed this post but all the links to his feed items are forwarding to the fbi.gov site.... same type of issue I'm having Sad
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I tried disabling some of the tracking features within feedburner but they still add all that extra info to the URL's.....

meotoo
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I've started noticing the same issue a few days ago, and thats one of the reasons i'm optimizing NS myself... check:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Looking at Google why users coming from feedburner was being banned i've found this post:

it's from 2004! and where Raven explain URLs with parenthesis are threaded as scripting attacks..

for now i've replaced the eregi() usage over Scripting attack filter, my next step (once this pattern is found to be quite ok) will be to properly skip users coming from feedburner, keep listening Wink

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote

ok it took some digging at feedburner but you can adjust these settings for each one of your feeds. go to:
my feeds > your feed > analyze > configure stats >
click on customize

edit Campaign setting and remove the (${feedName})

meotoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote

sweet! thx for the tip, this is indeed more elegant than adding "more slowness" code to NS Smile

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

Thanks, montego, for pointing me to this thread. Thanks, spasticdonkey, for finding this and for finding a solution. When I tested it before making the change, it appears to work, but I believe that's because I'm an admin.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote

np, when I'm having a problem I usually try to reproduce it somewhere else to make sure I didn't do something misguided.. so you were the lucky winner this time Smile

on a side note I don't use google analytics so I'm not sure what effect these changes will have for analytics users; I'm assuming you would lose the campaign level of stats though... but better than none of your links working Smile

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote

are there parenthesis in the link ()?

if so did you try the above fix?

if not try deactivating the santy worm protection in NS and see what happens

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote

The Santy worm was targeted specifically at phpBB installations back in 2004. that's a lotta years ago, and phpBB devs immediately patched (that was the 2.0.11 patch, we're up to 2.0.23 now).

Not sure I'd be real worried about...

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote

Your web host should also be checking for Santy Worm attacks in Apache's mod_security settings so you can always check with your web host to make sure that is the case.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote

technocrat wrote:
The sanity attack is pretty much old news. There really isnt a reason to continue to block against. Even more so if you have been keeping up on your forum patches.

I've had it off for at least a couple years on one of my sites. If I remember right in the next version of RN, the default setting will be off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> nukeFeed/FeedCreator

View next topic
View previous topic