Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Feedback/Suggestions
horrorcode
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote

Just figured Id start one with the ideas I come up with, this might also help me not forget them...

First idea is simple, useful, but might not be easy to achieve.

1. Ability to upload block in Admin>Blocks. The ideal method would be to be able to go to Admin>Blocks>Add a new block, and in Filename you would see something like Upload Block.

Then either a field would appear to click Browse to choose the file to upload or the option would always be there but would only be funtional if Upload was selected.

Another option would be to just input php in the Content section somehow, which would then create the block file from the title, or maybe allow the FCK in admin only to upload the block. I guess both methods would have to be setup for admin only though...

Just a thought.

eldorado
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote

H I like your ideas , But I prefer to have the UPLOAD feature in another part than in modules or blocks. A separate admin part called FTP or SITE UPLOAD.

horrorcode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote

Thats understanable and also desired, but this would make it easier when creating blocks, as with an upload module you'd still have that extra step.

Perhaps let the upload block function use the upload function, if/when there is one, which you could also then manage permisions of what parts of the site/admin backend can use the uploads functions.

eldorado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote

yes that's the main reason. Because i would of course let my admins play with the blocks and module , but I wouldn't want all of them to upload blocks and/or modules.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote

If I might ask, what's wrong with creating the block in some kind of PHP editor and uploading it through FTP or Cpanel? As an admin I would feel more secure if the only people who can create PHP based blocks are those who know how to and have been given access to the FTP or Cpanel login id's and passwords.

duck
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
If I might ask, what's wrong with creating the block in some kind of PHP editor and uploading it through FTP or Cpanel? As an admin I would feel more secure if the only people who can create PHP based blocks are those who know how to and have been given access to the FTP or Cpanel login id's and passwords.

Nothing wrong with that method at all but convenience is cool.

Many of the other major cms have the ability to browse/modify folder/file structure built in and Ultimately it is something that should be standard in a quality CMS. I think it is a great feature request. One that should be near the top of the list.

trunks
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea to be honest, and could maybe eliminate the issue of the new guys on the block hesitence towards uploading files, especially for modules and blocks which is one of the main thing webmasters do to add features to their site.
Look forward to Raven's level headed response Wink

eldorado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote

Yes I've been wandering around e107 this afternoon and was stunned to see the too few differences with the nuke admin pannel. I was also astonished (really) to see so many features not yet implemented in nuke.
Such as the ability to UPLOAD modules and blocks via .rar or .zip formats directly into the cms admin pannel.And make it work ...

horrorcode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote

fkelly, Like they stated, I only see it as convenient. I was just sitting there thinking, its easy for me but then I thought, imagine how much easier it would be to test a block if I could just choose it, the name, etc and click submit/create.

But I do see your point, got to have the ability to change who this function is viewable to, or only make it visible to God. To clarify, by create I meant adding an existing block from your hd to the site, the fckeditor was just a thought of how else it could be uploaded.

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote

I like the idea. Some issues may arise with blocks that require changes in other places like the collapsing forums block has javascript.php edits. It would simplify the process for beginners. FileZilla does rock though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Would it not be possible to think of an 'edit' button on the block modules... so you can view/edit the file too? Or are we talking too many security vunrabilities?

duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
. FileZilla does rock though.
But WSFTP PRO kicks it's butt! lol

In all honesty properly coded the security shouldn't be a huge issue. Most of the other CMS's out there let you do it the fact that nuke doesn't is one thing that really makes it lag.

Look at wordpess and how you can actually edit the template files including CSS etc on the site itself. Even get an onthe fly demo of what your site looks like without it actually being installed (no more support request about hey I can't get into my site as I made a template default now I have no admin area? Help please!).

Heck when it boils down to the install of mods even with file edits can all be automated to do the edits. A simple SVN type file record could be kept as well for when multiple edits have been made for tracking and troubleshooting. Installs could come with SQL that's installed Auto etc.

Take a look at Joomla and how the Modules and addons etc all have configurable options based per module. I find joomla a little bit daunting at times compared to the simplicity of nuke but some of those features could be added to make nuke even simpler without being as confusing as Joomla can be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Feedback/Suggestions

View next topic
View previous topic