Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
danny234
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote

What is the whole point of a points system, excuse the pun lol
I noticed the points table but I don't understand what can be done with these points when accumulated? You give out points for users doing different things I gathered but what can the points be used for?

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote

The idea is to reward users for using your site. Users accumulate points by doing things on the site, like making comments, voting in polls, sending stories to friends, etc. You can then make certain modules visible to users with a certain amount of points as a reward.

Personally I think it is silly and I don't think too many people actually use it. It's another one of those curious half-baked things in Nuke. Smile

danny234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote

Ah I see, yeah I just didn't really understand the point of it because making an effort to get more points just to see another module would not do it for me lol
maybe if you could use the points for something more rewarding then it gives the incentive to make users post more etc. It's a good idea if something decent was installed to give back as a reward but yeah I don't think I'd be using it either.

Thanks Gremmie

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote

How about points to give users access to Gremmie's new Google map module! Wink

rickleigh
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Clan Themes modified their points system and I was wanting a similar system. Is this a module that can be down loaded. I want to integrate the points with the downloads mod etc.

trunks
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote

i have manually modded the downloads area for our site [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] too, which will also allow users to view how many points each download it.
You will not find anyone willing to give that information out for you free of charge, but im willing to make the modification for your site for a price.
I can also allow you to edit user points too if you wish, from the Your_Account / edit user page.
As well as show how many points a user has within the forums view_topic page.

Its a handy way to help get members to participate on your site rather than just use and abuse it! Very Happy

Let me know.

trunks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote

p.s no its not a mod that is downloadable.

horrorcode
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote

As a note, since at least RN 2.2.01? the ability to edit a users points was built in. Also, there are several mods out there to integrate it if you dont have Rn, one of which I rewrote for standard nuke 7.5+ and is readily available on my site.

For the view topic hack, you just have to look, but Im sure I saw it somewhere. And for downloads Im pretty sure EDL has that ability, maybe not.

rickleigh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote

horrorcode,

I see the points system in the Admin section. But, I don't see were users can use those points to purchase downloads etc. and have to build their points back up like what Clan-Themes is using on their site. The way the pre-installed system is setup you have to make groups and decide how many points it takes to get in that group. But, with out the ability to us those points the user will just keep racking them up.

But, I could be missing a step or not understanding the full power of the option to.

horrorcode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Sorry what I was saying is it has the ability to edit points, in response to what trunks said.

For the downloads you are right there is no functionality built in, I was just stating that the Enhanced Downloads Mod might have the ability, but I cant remember.

If someone could hint us or you can search for the group downloads mod that would help for now.

slackervaara
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote

I have used the points system for 5 years now and it is stimulating the members to be active and is especially important, if the activity on the site is low. I have a block with Top 15 highest points and it is important for the members to be there.

If a member has been active for 4 years on my site and has at least 50000 points they becomes Honorary member, which I change to in forum ranks. Also very popular although there are few Honorary members yet.

rickleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote

horrorcode,

Yah, I can't get the EDM to install on my test site with RN2.3.1. Says the tables are not installing right. I posted here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to see if I can get help on it.

rickleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote

slackervaara,

I want to set up a system to where users can have a chance to win gifts by getting points as well as subtract points for downloading files etc.

horrorcode

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote

The biggest problem is the points sytem was really never built/expanded on, and/or those willing to build on it didnt feel the need to release the code.

They have every right to do so, but youd think after 8+ years with a points system available there would be more out there. On a side note maybe anything regarding points/arcade deserves its own forum. Maybe I should dedicate my forums to just that?

While some like to say it can't be done, what they mean is, they won't or can't do it. No offense.

trunks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote

Well rickleigh as i said, if you want the points system intergrated with your downloads area.... let me know Smile getting tired of repeating myself actually... ive offered exactly what you asked for in the first place so im not sure why questions are still being asked? :S It will work on any downloads module.

rickleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote

trunks,

I think I answered you in this post you replied on: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Bottom line is I'm broke and cant afford to pay anyone. I have to rely on the free mods that are out there.

draxx
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote

I dont seem to get any points from the things your supposed to get points from Does it even work at all? LOL?

horrorcode

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Depends, did you set it up to assign points in Admin>User Groups/Points?

draxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Yes I did Smile

draxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Strike that - I edited points in usergroups/points - but I created usergroups with usergroups LOL

horrorcode

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Smile That explains it.

draxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Laughing That is sooo halarious. Silly me for thinking the two had something to do with each other Shocked Laughing

duck
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote

rickleigh wrote:
trunks,

I think I answered you in this post you replied on: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Bottom line is I'm broke and cant afford to pay anyone. I have to rely on the free mods that are out there.

How about a bounty. I prefer doing bounty work when doing most coding for nuke or it's derivatives. Cause I actually like coding for free to donate to the community. However like you I am not exactly financially secure right now so I have to dedicate my time to paid projects only (I have some very large free projects on standby already for when I have free time to return to them so I can't justify new free projects before they are done) However I will find time for paid projects but I prefer those paid projects, if for nuke, to be bounties where by I set my development fee for you but the code when done goes to the public for use. So lets say I call the bounty for this mod would cost $200 (I am not saying that's the bounty we'd have to discuss all you expect first before a real price is given) then I build the mod you get first copy then I post copies for free download to everyone else who wants either here and/or my sites.

The good thing with the bounty is if all you can afford is $20 then you could find 10 other people that all say hey I would like this too so everybody chips in $20 also and viola you've paid for the coders time ( or at least a good portion of it ) and are basically responsible for contributing something to the community. To me while I may be getting some pay I am encouraging the flow of open source this way what the project is supposed to be in the first place it basically remains. Openly sharing and growing. So if your interested something like that you could explore that possibility and let me know.

Trunks I am sure will be much cheaper than I will cause he has already done the code where as I'll be starting from scratch. The difference being many will ultimately benefit vs 1. In fairness to Trunks if his code is sound I would be happy to offer him the bounty first. His choice to release his version publicly for the bounty price. Now it's up to you to find the interested parties to contribute for it.

floppydrivez
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote

It would probably be cheaper to buy it from Telli @ codezwiz.com since he recently did the mod and would probably be willing to do it again. I am not sure what his going rate is these days, but his prices are usually fair. He would also be able to provide fairly good support since he is the original author of the downloads points mod being discussed above by trunks.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I have spent the last 3 years designing the one that clan themes uses. What you don't realize is that so much goes into the points system and not just charging users for downloads. You have to re-secure how points are earned. For instance, if you allow page views to count as 1 point and I know that the F5 key ='s refresh. I can download free all night. That is one example of 15 - 20'ish loop wholes in the system that had to be corrected to make the system fair. Not to mention equally creating a balanced system that also allows users to earn points in multiple ways beneficial to the site and be equally rewarded for their hard work. If your using a system that so simple to beat it is stupid, then what is the point? Why have it at all?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trunks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Your very right there floppy, but its very easy to remove the function of the refresh page as im sure you already know.

The mod itself is actually very easy to write, but as floppy has said, it has to be done properly otherwise whats the point in doing it. I believe my version is slightly different to what ive seen out there before, but whatever floats our boat i suppose.

Ill put together the mod as a download so its out there for the community. Give us a few days to put it together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic