Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
rorie
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote

i wish to use raven nuke for more than 1 website. i would like to use my existing database & have complete control of my site by applying my existing admin account with it. is this possible?

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote

You can certainly share the database and users between the sites, but you can't share the admin account.

rorie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
You can certainly share the database and users between the sites, but you can't share the admin account.

ok but i still want to do it. how do i go about doing that?

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Create a new admin account with the same login/password

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
rorie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
Create a new admin account with the same login/password

and that will create a 2nd account or website i should say?

jakec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote

To share users hopefully this post will help: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote

I was contemplating the same issue that was posted at the top of this thread recently. Could you just have one set of RN php files and one database but two sites? I concluded it just won't work and isn't worth the hassle of trying. Just bite the bullet and install two copies of everything, php files and databases. Manage them separately.

There's many reasons but consider just one. There is a messages table in Nuke that many admins use to post an opening message, important changes, contact info etc. If you have separate sites you need separate messages tailored to each and there is no way to do that in a single table (as the code is currently written).

evaders99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote

Basically you need two sets of tables, otherwise your site data will be exactly the same. I run multiple sites with one copy of the PHP code that way.

For different subdirectories, you can probably use mod_rewrite rules.
For different domain/subdomains, you actually have to modify your Apache configuration.

rorie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote

ok just so i know what to do. can you put down your tips in one sentence? there are so many different ways to do this so i want to know the easiest way to create multiple raven nuke sites

thanx
rorie

jakec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote

See the post above and also refer to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

fkelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I have to say that I don't get this. First, as Evaders said a couple of posts back, you do need two sets of tables or else you will be running pretty much the same site. I was momentarily thinking ... well you could have some blocks and modules active in one site and not in the other or different layouts but even that won't work because the activation data and layouts are stored in tables.

So you have /public_html/nukesite1 ... and your root directory (the one with mainfile) in there. In the nukesite1 directory you have a config.php file. It can only point to one set of tables unless I'm mistaken. So what would you do? Have a rewrite rule that rewrites references to nukesite1's config.php to some kind of config2.php which has different tables referenced? And would that work when a program includes config.php?

To the best of my knowledge we don't even use the nukesql file that is referenced in the manual Jakec linked us to.

It would be great to be able to do this if there weren't tradeoffs. I know that Gallery2 offers the ability to use one set of code to manage two sets of tables but I have never looked at how they implement it.

evaders99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote

You don't even need two config.php - you just need to translate the appropriate requested URL into a table prefix value

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote

fkelly, you are correct we don't use the nukesql file, but the RN installer does respect the values specified in the config file, $prefix and $user_prefix. Apart from this difference the principle of the install is the same, but this will only allow you to share users in one database.

I agree it would be great if we could do this, hopefully it would make upgrading multiple sites easier.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't even need two config.php - you just need to translate the appropriate requested URL into a table prefix value

Some kind of mod rewrite rule? I am not at all expert on that and I don't think most folks here are. An example would be helpful.

Of course there's other issues. Most sites don't want the Ravennuke logo in their theme header. So they modify the theme.php's and the image directories in the themes. Now you have two sites and one set of code. What do you do? Same with any other customization.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic