Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
spurtus
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Hi! I am running the latest (I think...is there a way to check?) RN distro 2.10, I believe. I have never configured downloads on any of my web sites, and am looking to do so now. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that describes how to configure downloads?

I have tried muddling about by adding a download category, adding a specific .zip file I would like my visitors to be able to download, but am having zero luck. I get an error:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /modules/Downloads/files/wolfrat.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The file is clearly on my server, and I have pointed the download url to the fully qualified path (http://mysite.com//modules/Downloads/files/wolfrat.zip) but am getting no where, fast. I am presuming there is something fundamental I do not understand.

So, any pointers you may have to configuring downloads would be great.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Is your host using mod_security by any chance?

The error looks very similar to this post here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

spurtus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote

I have posted a ticket with them, and asked them. I am guessing the main problem will be simply not having a clue how to set up downloads to work. I was totally guessing (or is it just supposed to magically work??? Smile

I will let you know what I find out.

thanks!

spurtus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Is the process that you set up a folder for the downloads, or should I be using (root)/modules/Downloads/files for storing the files? Is that even right?

spurtus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Well....I checked, and apparently, the host is using mod_security, but he won't touch it, and says other web sites using nuke are able to do downloads just fine. So, back to square one.

I guess we will have to forego being able to allow downloads.

Thanks anyway!

Spurt

jakec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote

Have a read of the NukeManual, I think there is a section on the downloads modules: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

With regards to mod_security that sounds really odd. Raven is the expert on this and uses mod_security himself, so hopefully he can offer some advice.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote

I don't believe this is a mod_security issue. mod_security is set up to return a 406 error above all else. I noticed in your post above that you reference this uri http://mysite.com//modules/Downloads/files/wolfrat.zip. Note the // before modules. Is that just a typo?

You cannot directly access a download like that through the modules folder. You need to use the Downloads Administration Panel, add a category, and add the file through the add download function. Then you set the access permissions and it should show up in the Downloads section of your modules menu. Then your users can download it through there.

jakec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote

Thanks Raven.

Spurtus, sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. Embarassed

spurtus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I don't believe this is a mod_security issue. mod_security is set up to return a 406 error above all else. I noticed in your post above that you reference this uri http://mysite.com//modules/Downloads/files/wolfrat.zip. Note the // before modules. Is that just a typo?

You cannot directly access a download like that through the modules folder. You need to use the Downloads Administration Panel, add a category, and add the file through the add download function. Then you set the access permissions and it should show up in the Downloads section of your modules menu. Then your users can download it through there.

Not a problem, Jakec! I appreciate any/all help. I know it is not an exact science trying to figure out what folks are seeing sometimes.

Raven...

You are correct....that was a typo an not really what I had configured. I believe I had followed the steps you noted. First, I created a category (I called it "DFX utilities"). I placed the file in the [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] folder (is that a mistake)? Then, for the URL in the Add Download dialog, I entered the fully qualified path (like [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] This is where I was not sure, as I was not sure if that should be relative link, a link to some other location NOT in the nuke folder structure, or what. Also, was not sure if the file name should be included (altho I tried with and without).

After all that, I could then come in to my site via the Downloads topic, choose the Gaming Utilties category, and see the file download for wolfrat. However, that is when I got all the errors, when I asked to "Go get it" on the download menu.

if it is ok, you could go to my site as it is public (other than I have it set up that you have to be registered to download). The web site is:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

should you want to see it....?

Anyway, thanks all for the help.

Spurt

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Please PM to me your admin id/pass (or create a god account for me). Also include your ftp url, id, pass.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote

I have resolved spurtus' issues although the solution has revealed some new questions for him Shocked . The folder that holds his downloads file had a .htaccess directive that was causing the problem. Also, NukeSentinel(tm) is not setup correctly. It appears he's actually running Nuke Evolution and not RavenNuke(tm). This was not his understanding so I'm sure he's checking that out Wink

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote

Ouch!

spurtus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Yeah..that was embarrassing...Our service providor "restored" our web site "after" I had upgraded it (in my opinion) to Raven's distro. We had the same theme, so it was not really something I noticed. It was great that he did that WITHOUT TELLING ME! That explains a lot of the issues I was having (thought I was getting even more stupid, every day).

And, he did it because he is a nuke fanatic, and no more than that. Nice, eh. Anyway....I am looking for a new provider (just hate the thought of starting over again).

But my SPECIAL OMG THANKS to Raven for helping, even after he knew it was EVO. Thanks sir!

Spurt

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Raven Web Hosting would be a good choice Wink

RavensScripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic