Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Just an observation about 2.20.01 (The .zip version) @: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I normally don't download, unzip, edit and then re-upload a CMS build.

Typically (as someone trying to expedite things), I upload the entire .zip file to my server, unzip it there and then move the files around as needed. (8mb is better than 80 when it comes to transfers)...

After doing this several hundred times, I was befuddled to finish everything (moving around and getting ready to run the install setup), only to go to edit the first file (config.php) where I was shocked to find a file filled with corrupted characters.

Sure enough, exploration of the html directory files revealed corruptions indicating that these files were last edited by a non-compliant editor. Most of the files are corrupted by this problem (but not all!).

Can someone investigate this?

You'll notice that each line ends in a corruption.

You won't see this with all files.

I'm going to wipe my directory until this can be figured out.

Files:
.htaccess - OK
.staccess - OK
400.shtml - OK
401.shtml - OK
402.shtml - OK
403.shtml - Corrupted
404.shtml - OK
500.shtml - OK
admin.php - Corrupted
backend.php - Corrupted
backend_mshnl.php - Corrupted
config.php - Corrupted
favicon.ico - OK
footer.php - Corrupted
forumsbackend.php - Corrupted
header.php - Corrupted
index.php - Corrupted
mainfile.php - OK
modules.php - OK
README - OK
rnconfig.php - Corrupted
robots.txt - Corrupted
sample.ftaccess - OK
sample.htaccess - OK
sample.staccess - OK
ShortLinks.htaccess - OK
ultramode.txt - Corrupted

I stopped here.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Well this is weird...

Happens only when I upload RN as a zip. If I d/l the .zip and extract the files locally with WinRAR, they look fine, but a direct upload/extract goes to heck.

Tried 8 others zip files from various places (phpbb3, regular nuke 7.6, etc..), no problems... go figure... huh I've got to figure that it's the program used to .zip it up?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote

Not sure if Raven is still using WinRAR or not. He could even be using 7-zip with the ZIP option... not sure. Thanks for bringing this up though.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote

The first I've heard of this. I think I used 7zip this past time. However, I just tested it and the unzip worked fine for me so I have to question if this isn't possibly unique to your environment, somehow?

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

I want to emphasize that the only time I had problems was when unzipping this at my host under Linux.

Using WinRAR on my PC wasn't a problem. As I was forced to extract and upload from my client PC, uploading the uncompressed files took a heck of a lot longer!

I talked to a guy at work who told me he's seen this before when extracting at the Linux sever level in batches. He told me to not 7-Zip to make .zip files that would be decompressed at the server level. He claims to have seen this problem before (on the server side) and that using WinRAR or WinZIP for .zip compression resolves the problem.

I can't say for sure, as I haven't seen this before.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote

What I meant was I unzipped on my Linux server w/o a problem. I am not debating that you may have a problem it's just that I haven't seen it nor heard of it before. As you well know, it's difficult, if not impossible, to trace a problem that you can't replicate. .7z files must be unzipped using the linux .7z program. .zip files must use unzip. I tested both and I don't see any issues.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote

Must be my crappy host!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cool

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote

As I've said for many years - I hate cars and computers Evil or Very Mad Bang Head

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
As I've said for many years - I hate cars and computers Evil or Very Mad Bang Head

Yet we keep buying (and maintaining) both.

I'm ready to buy a Mac. (Did I just say that outloud?)

My convertible is a 2001 Solara SLE with 13,000 miles. I love my car. I drive rental cars mostly. The Japanese build great cards and IMHO, America hasn't made a great car since the 1960's.

American Made = Criminally High Labor Costs for Low-Quality Design, Cheap Steel and Cheap Plastic and "Leatherette".
    Japanese Made = Reasonable Labor Costs for High-Quality Design, Cheap Steel and Nice Plastic and yes, Leather = Leather.

Alas, when I buy my next car, it will be something already electric, or something that I can convert to electric. I'm working on a new battery design (very interested in this technology) and have some ideas on how to get from point a to point b for .01/mile with unlimited mileage.

Then I can hate my car for other reasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic