Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback
webservant
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote

I eagerly await the new release. I know it will be great because I've seen nothing less than excellence from the group since I started with this Disto in version 2. Wave

But you have my curiosity up... I had installed Gallery2 under my RN, but you seem to be integrating another gallery under 2.20. So, I just have to ask ... which Photo Gallery is it? And where can we get a peek at it?

Thanks for all you hard work!

Romans 8:28-39 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote

No Gallery under 2.20 that I know of. Maybe you are seeing Gcalendar?

webservant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm... Here is Raven's original announcement post:

Quote:
Applications
* Nuke Treasury
* NSN Downloads
* NSN News
* Photo Gallery (Not Gallery - Gallery is too host/server dependent)
* Wiki/Blog
* Menu System (Not Sommaire)
* nukeSEO
* Who-is-Where block
* light-weight e-commerce (No definition at this time)

Functions
* AutoActivation
* Use SMTP in place of the mail() function
* GT-Next Gen enhancements
* Forum mod's
* Administration enhancements

The Photo Gallery is what I'm asking about. Perhaps it is no longer slated to be in 2.20?

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately as things progress some things do drop off the list, but also others get added. Wink

webservant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote

I understand that, especially after 21 years in IT. But I'm still curious, which Photo Gallery was being investigated, and where can the source be found. Gallery2 is quite cumbersome to maintain....

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure another generic "Photo Gallery" was in the works. I know Raven has at various times talked about integrating Gallery2 and I've talked him out of it. But I share your pain about maintaining it. It's like, if you get it working, it might work a year or two without any problems and it's great ... people on my site use it all the time and I can give an individual privileges to upload and they can create albums and sub-albums all without my being involved. But do some maintenance and get permissions or privileges fouled up and you are in for days of pain which only a knowledgeable web host (like Raven) can resolve.

The problem with "integrating" Gallery2 is that its own very detailed and professional set of installation routines. You couldn't shortcut them and wouldn't want to anyway. I don't know what's to be gained by trying to include it in a RN installation. But suggestions, comments are always welcome.

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote

well i'm not sure that a full photo gallery is necessarily what is needed/desired in an RN distro. Although, probably the most requested feature my site users have asked for is some way to upload a image and include it in your posts on the forums.

I played with gallery2 and I'm pretty sure you cant do it with that. The way gallery2 stores and retrieves images is all done via php, so if you right click image to get it's address you get a really long php url that wont work in the traditional [img] tag.

Most users a relegated to using free image services like imageshack which are notoriously unreliable. Maybe it will load today (or at all)... lol

So, just food for thought (and the future). I think some kind of mod that is group dependent (so only admin authorized users and/or members of a certain group can use) that allows for "X" amount of images in a mini-gallery would be cool. Maybe even with the bbcode needed to use the image on the forums displayed next to the image (for dummies)

I know probably much easier said than done...

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

You can easily rewrite the URLs though using mod_rewrite rules, much like the short links / GT system. I'm pretty sure Gallery 2 has that option somewhere

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
fkelly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

You are right about Gallery 2 ... in Gallery 1.x you could link to the images but Gallery2 makes that impossible as far as I can tell. And that's a shame because it was a useful feature to be able to link from a news article or message or forum post.

And yeah, some form of lightweight and easy to administer Gallery would be great. Gallery 2 is amazing software and when you get it working it's great, but if your permissions get fouled up it can be a total nightmare and require getting your host involved (and God bless you if you have an idiot host). I think that the fundamental problem is that anything that allows users to upload, controlled by group membership or not, is a potential security risk and requires a lot of expertise and testing. And even then the hackers will probably find a way to embed some kind of script in something they call a jpg file.

fkelly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Well I thought Evaders suggestion had merit so I've spent the last two hours banging my head against the wall. No, actually I was trying to configure url_rewrite in Gallery. The url_rewrite they provide is on the plugins function of the maintenance screen in site admin for Gallery. Of course they write their documentation for Unix system administrators rather than normal human beings but once I figured out what the absolute path was and set up the .htaccess according to their instructions I was able to enable url_rewrite. All of Gallery's internal tests were successful and it rewrote the path to my albums. The only problem is that I get a 404 not found when I go back into Gallery and look at any pictures. So I've disabled url_rewrite.

If any one can figure out how to make this work it would be great. Especially if you can really link to the jpg files you have stored on your server. I'm skeptical though that this is going to work.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
You can easily rewrite the URLs though using mod_rewrite rules, much like the short links / GT system. I'm pretty sure Gallery 2 has that option somewhere

i know it warned me not to enable that option in gallery2 if i was running under nuke.

Quote:
The use of the Gallery 2 rewrite module in an integrated environment has proven to be a tricky task. It is highly recommended that you deactivate and uninstall the Gallery 2 rewrite module prior to attempting this integration.

sounds like it may be possible but not much fun. certainly nothing you'd want to troubleshoot after including in a distro Smile

Quote:
If any one can figure out how to make this work it would be great. Especially if you can really link to the jpg files you have stored on your server. I'm skeptical though that this is going to work.

i tried even going into ftp and finding the absolute path and it still didnt work, probably due to security or some kind of hotlink protection. However those long php urls for the images will work in the iframe tag, but the result is pretty unattractive.

I put up a gallery2 test site under RN on an old crappy host (poor sql servers), basically just to see if it would get tampered with, etc.. If anyone wants to play with it or test it's security let me know and I'll get you the info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback

View next topic
View previous topic