Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues
mrix
Client

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Hello all I was wondering if its possible to add google adsense between the News Posts on the frontpage ? the reason I ask is that I had a optimisation email from a guy from google who explained it would be a good idea etc.
thanks for any idea`s
mrix
p.s wasnt sure where to post this question but I am using raven 2.10.01 Very Happy

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Maybe this is old news now, but at one point you were only allowed one or two (max I believe) separate instances of AdSense on a page. However, what this person might be trying to say is to position your adds in a CenterUp block fashion. If you would rather have the adds on every page, theoretically you could add the code in your theme.php or left_center.html (depends on the theme).

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote

He actually sent me a screenshot of my front page with the adds between the news articles but yes I guess he is just saying having adds centre of the page is the key Wink
I am not really worried about on every page but between the fron page articles would be good I guess
thanks for your help
Cheers
mrix

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote

The ideal location is center screen (as against center page) - if you have quite a bit of text in the top (messages) and a couple of lengthy news items, you may find that ads at 'center page' actually require the user to scroll down to see them - not good!

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote

I dont normally have more than 3 News items max so in my case it makes pretty much centre page etc.
Cheers
mrix

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote

No, for your sea-fishing site all I see is the message, I do not see any news at all unless I scroll down.

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote

Yes I can understand that but most people will scroll a little I guess.
Also I would imagine people look at the news posts a lot as I do on this site, its normally my first point of arrival when I reach here and its always the news I read first etc. So to have adds between them seems even more apealing Very Happy
Cheers
mrix

montego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote

Ok, but make sure you check the Google AdSense TOS to be sure it isn't still a max of two placements. I can tell you from personal experience that Google can be very heavy-handed when it comes to their TOS, and even if you are innocent of violation, they stand by their actions.

I agree with Guardian that the add really should be right above your message, but its your choice. To add these in-between your news articles, I think you are going to have to modify either theme.php function themeindex() or story_home.html (depends on the theme - could be almost anything).

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote

The guy from google adsense showed that I could have at least 4 adsense adds on the front page ... not sure how that would effect my CTR mind?
worth a shot though Very Happy
Cheers
mrix

montego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote

As long as you are CERTAIN he really was from Google...

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quote

Well his email was ++++@google.com so I guess he must have been ?
Cheers
mrix

montego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

That can easily be faked. Good to check the email headers. But, again, if you just read the TOS again, you would be safe right?

This is just a personal thing with me that I don't trust any emails that I get from someone that I do not know. I always try to validate or I delete. JMO. You do what you feel is right for you.

mrix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote

It seemed genuine as this is the email he sent

Thanks for your reply and interest in the Optimisation programme. I ampleased about the opportunity to suggest ways to improve the performanceof your Google ads. I have begun by creating a customised solution for your site,www.sea-fishing.org, which you will find as a screenshot attached to thisemail. I hope that you will be able to apply these optimisation conceptsthroughout your site. In the new layout, I have suggested the following: - Integrating the ad units into your content. Based on previous testing,integrating ad units into the page content or navigation provides a betteruser experience, as it gives your users relevant ads in addition to thecontent they normally see. When choosing where to place the ads on your pages, it's important toconsider how users view different pages on your site. You should thenplace the ads in a location which will complement their behaviour. Forexample, placing the ads very close to navigation menus can perform wellbecause users are likely to focus on these areas while viewing the site. - Implementing different ad units to fit more seamlessly into your pagedesign. These new ad units should attract more natural attention and offersupplemental ad content to your users. When you have completed these changes, please let me know so I can monitorthe performance of your account. If you have any questions about the newad layouts, I will be happy to address your concerns or create analternate set of suggestions based on your feedback. Once again Iappreciate your participation in this programme. I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Blaithin The Google AdSense Optimisation Team
he also sent me a jpg where the adds should be placed
Cheers
mrix

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote

Seems the email is legit, at least if it was formated correctly and not "as-is" the way you posted with punctuation problems.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Seems the guy is legit, though notice that after the user talked to Google, his account got canned! Smile

I believe you can edit the index function from theme.php to get the desired affect

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
montego

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote

I read that thread. Same exact thing happened with me (the AdSense part) and I am quite bitter about the whole thing as I did NOT violate their TOS! But, there is NO pleading with these guys. They just don't give a who know what.

That is why I am very sensitive about this subject and encourage everyone to READ the TOS and make sure you abide by it 100% and even then, you could get screwed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic