Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.8
morpheus_75
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:08 am Reply with quote

I'm looking for an easy Google Tap tutorial. Anyone knows where i can find it?

Rikk03
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote

Ive been looking for a tutorial too, I went to the creators at nukecops and posted a message - virtually noone responded for a week - now there is a five line answer but it doesnt help very much.

Go to nukecops - sign in and search for Google tap posts on the forums.

Richard

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote

Rikk03 wrote:
Go to nukecops - sign in and search for Google tap posts on the forums.

Richard

I've already signed in and searched, but unfortunately couldn't find what i'm looking for Sad
I've been waiting for Raven. He always knows what to do Very Happy

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:57 am Reply with quote

Laughing - thanks!

This time though, other than what the author has provided, there isn't much. It's really an understanding of Apache mod_rewrite. I would recommend going to the Apache site (apache.org) and reading up on mod_rewrite. That pretty much cleared it up for me.

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Well, I'll try. Thanks a lot for your advice! Smile

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:44 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I would recommend going to the Apache site (apache.org) and reading up on mod_rewrite. That pretty much cleared it up for me.

I went to the Apache site, but did not find what u mentioned. Would u provide me with a direct link?

P.S.: among ur useful services, Raven, do u offer web site optimization for php-nuke too?? Let me know... Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:19 am Reply with quote

This one won't cost you anything Wink [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
This one won't cost you anything Wink [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I'm sorry, Raven, but that goes far beyond my (little) comprehension of php Embarassed I really tried, but I think I shall study more to catch the meaning of your interesting dissertations! Smile

I wonder if in the meantime any tutorial has appeared somewhere in the net... or at least if you can provide me with this kind of consultancy Wink

Rikk03

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:31 am Reply with quote

I will help you if you like Morpheus .......ive managed to tap my whole site recently from being in the position of a total noob Smile

I understand what you are going through Mad Wink

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:22 am Reply with quote

Your help would be appreciated, Rikk Wink. If you like, you can PM me and tell me how to organize everything Smile

Rikk03

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote

u on msn? - would be simpler

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote

Rikk03 wrote:
u on msn? - would be simpler

Yes, I have MSN. I'm going to PM you my email address so that you can add me. Unfortunately at the moment I'm going out, but tomorrow I'll be online at the same time.
Thank you very much indeed! Smile

GanjaUK
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote

Im not really convinced googletap does much. I tapped my whole site, but google spidered the old urls anyway. If I could go back, doubt I would have bothered, there's no going back now though, because I had to change a lot of modules and blocks.
The shorter URL's are a nice touch though, just don't think you will have any more pages on google than you would with the full url's. Anyone else wonder if it was worth the trouble?

Rikk03

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote

LOL , the new Google Tap Next Gen lets you use your original modules .......no changes required really ........except for the blocks ......most of which work anyway with the normal urls.

It uses an alternative modules directory tree that it pulls the urls from.

You can switch it on or off in the header.php 1 for active 0 for normal urls - the only thing you need to change is the block-modules to a tapped version - just switch to it via the blocks admin.

Ive just finished tapping CZ-modules block - drop down menu .......took me a while to do.......in the modules admin, i now have both 7.2 groups and NSN groups and a seperate box to put the alternative html urls WITH alterative categories and GROUPS. Mr. Green

Next step is to add the ability to add static urls via a admin panel so they can appear in the drop down menu - kinda like how block sommaire achieves this.

One thing about it that bugged me was the admin/modules/modules.php file - I had to change it every time i switched blocks from standard - GT and CZ . So ive sorted out an universal modules.php to work with google tapped or without. Razz

For some reason the tapped cz module block seems to speed up the whole site - in comparison to the standard GT-modules block. - NO idea why.

As to why google spidered your old urls .....well maybe it was something up with your robots txt ........something stopped it.

GanjaUK

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote

No, what im saying is, google spidered the full urls when I didnt have googletap just the same as when I did, it all seems pretty pointless. Just using resources with no major benefit.

morpheus_75

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote

GanjaUK wrote:
No, what im saying is, google spidered the full urls when I didnt have googletap just the same as when I did

You are a lucky man! Usually Google does not spider (or spiders badly) php sites. Pls, tell us your secret!!! Smile

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote

The major benefit is/was getting google deeper into the site where before it was only going 2 layers deep module/cat/topic your GT site can go to any level of dynamic urls. module/cat/subcat/topic was always passed over before using the mod_rewrite short urls. It has been suggested that Google in particular is now able to go in and crawl the deeper levels of dynamic sites. Which I believe is true as you indicate yourself. But I'd like to see the actual urls that are deeper then second level if you could show us one it would really help make a believer out of me.

Mainly because as we all have witnessed there are still many crawlers that just become runaway resource hogs when they get caught in a site that uses this short urls technique. Not to mention the ones that think they need to cache or download every url they encounter. Its such a persistent problem people are opting to ban/ignore all other crawlers except Google. Which doesn't seem like a real smart move to me at all givin the increasing number of specialty search engines out there.

GanjaUK

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Well I never managed to tap coppermine, and google seems to have got round that module fine: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Just noticed I have 1,370 pages indexed on google now. Very Happy

Rikk03

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote

wow ......glad to know coppermine isnt a problem for google

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Interesting does that include nested albums? (Dunno if CopperMine has em even?)

GanjaUK

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Its probably helped a long a bit by the coppermine block I put on the main page, it links to 3 albums from there.
I think google gets round to most of the site eventually regardless to gt, they seem to hit me heavy 1 night (20-30 bots at 1 time), then you dont see any for a few weeks. They never index the whole site in 1 go.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.8

View next topic
View previous topic