Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
Bigboy177
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote

I've upgraded the sentinel on my site to the version 2.4.2 and now I get all kind of errors on my site... When I revert back to the previous version everything is ok... But when I once again installed 2.4.2 I get sql_layer errors with the wrong argument... What may be wrong... ?

I'm using Nuke 7.3 patched to 2.9...

Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:28 am Reply with quote

you didnt copy the errors to show ?

Bigboy177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote

It's no use... I'm not going to use the new sentinel... The upgrade process is so complicated... It was easier to make my own modules, block and stuff like that than to make the new sentinel work by upgrading from the older version... Milions of patches... differences in the files... it's just stupid...

hitwalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote

yeah ok,not everybody loves the upgrades.patches etc...but you shouldnt give up so easely..

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 am Reply with quote

Bigboy177 wrote:
It's no use... I'm not going to use the new sentinel... The upgrade process is so complicated... It was easier to make my own modules, block and stuff like that than to make the new sentinel work by upgrading from the older version... Milions of patches... differences in the files... it's just stupid...

I have found that if I keep up on the Nuke patch levels and Sentinel upgrades as they come out, it becomes so much simpler and less time-consuming. To run a nuke site on such old patch levels and without the latest Sentinel is certainly at your own risk and not advised.

To address your "stupid" comment, what in your opinion is better of the following two options:

1) Continue to keep Sentinel up with the latest exploit blocking and best security possible, OR

2) Leave everyone in the nuke community to fend for themselves and let the script kiddies around the world do whatever the heck they want to unsuspecting web masters?

If you think its stupid what you are seeing, then you are in control of your own destiny.

Good luck

Bigboy177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote

I usually don't give up... But this is just the worst upgrade I've seen... I'm not new to phpnuke, and I've done many things (including my own modules, blocks and many other things...) But I can't get this thing to work... I won't even try to think how ppl that start with phpnuke just now would be able to install it... There are so many instructions scatered all around the web... For example:

You have to have patches up to 2.9... It' s not a big deal... I made tham till I got to the mainfile, there I found some differences, but I think I've figured them out, although I'm not sure cause there's no way to check them... There were lines to change that weren't in my mainfile.php so I just added them in what I think is a right place... The site ran OK, so I think it I've added everything...

Then there are instructions added to the sentinel... Of course they were different than my patched 2.9 version of phpnuke... So once again I started playing with the files... and I finally managed to put everything in the right place...

Then the sentinel upgrade process... I've had sentinel's ver. 2.10... I upgraded from 2.10 to 2.11 and so on, until I got to 2.4.2... In the process of upgrading there was an error about ip2country table, so I had to add it manualy, but I did it cause I know some things about nuke...

And then finally after all this time, I replaced my mainfile.php and other files with the changed files... and all over my web I can see:

Warning: mysql_row... supplied argument is not a valid... in sql_layer.php on line 286... With the previous version of sentinel everything works great, but with this one I just can't get it to work... Since yesterday I've been trying... but I really don't have the patience anymore... I just feel sorry for the new users, who only begin to use php nuke and want to have a safe site...

Bigboy177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote

montego wrote:
Bigboy177 wrote:

I have found that if I keep up on the Nuke patch levels and Sentinel upgrades as they come out, it becomes so much simpler and less time-consuming. To run a nuke site on such old patch levels and without the latest Sentinel is certainly at your own risk and not advised.

To address your "stupid" comment, what in your opinion is better of the following two options:

1) Continue to keep Sentinel up with the latest exploit blocking and best security possible, OR

2) Leave everyone in the nuke community to fend for themselves and let the script kiddies around the world do whatever the heck they want to unsuspecting web masters?

If you think its stupid what you are seeing, then you are in control of your own destiny.

Good luck

Ok...

You go to the nukefixes site... And see all the patches... You patch your site to 2.6, than to 2.9 but when you want to patch it to 3.1 there are lines you are supposed to change that are not in your files... where the hell did they come from...? it's all so confusing... And then sentinel does the same...

It's really a great piece of soft... but really the process of installing it should be a little simpler... And the info should be in one place... just like with any other module...

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote

The answers to all of your upgrade issues are here in the forums. What has happened is that Chatserv continually updates his patches but doesn't necessarily modify the version. In other words, there have been several 3.1 patches released w/o actually announcing it. So, NukeSentinel was released once, based upon the way that the 3.1 patch looked at that time. So, that's the difference. So, I would beg to differ with you that it's the worst upgrade and stupid. The fact that thousands have successfully transitioned bears that out. As I said, the forums contain the answers to your problems.

Bigboy177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
The answers to all of your upgrade issues are here in the forums. What has happened is that Chatserv continually updates his patches but doesn't necessarily modify the version. In other words, there have been several 3.1 patches released w/o actually announcing it. So, NukeSentinel was released once, based upon the way that the 3.1 patch looked at that time. So, that's the difference. So, I would beg to differ with you that it's the worst upgrade and stupid. The fact that thousands have successfully transitioned bears that out. As I said, the forums contain the answers to your problems.

So you are saying that releasing updates, and putting them in 10 places instead of one is a good idea...? Smile Hmmm strange...

I'll try one more time to install the new sentinel, if I can ofcourse find all these scattered patches... Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I never said anything like that Rolling Eyes . Get the latest 3.1 patch for your version. Get the latest NukeSentinel(tm). If the instructions don't agree then read the forums. It's all in there.

Bigboy177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I never said anything like that Rolling Eyes . Get the latest 3.1 patch for your version. Get the latest NukeSentinel(tm). If the instructions don't agree then read the forums. It's all in there.

So I should download the patches as the package or use nukefixes forum ? And after updating to the version 3.1 the sql_layer errors should dissappear ? Cause i don't want to lose another day for finding solutions and stuff like that... :]

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Nothing, at all, has changed in how you upgrade. Download the 3.1 patches from the links on my front page. Download NukeSentinel 2.4.2 from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (I don't think I ever put up a link on the last version). Apply the patches as per the instructions in the patch file. Then apply NukeSentinel(tm). If your mainfile doesn't look like what's in NukeSentinel(tm) then refer to MY forums for the resolution.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic