Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Next Gen and Standard
link
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote

Hello i have a forum block on my front page... bottom center. GT does not convert those to .html urls? any clue as to why?

And also does GT really help out with the search engines that much? I understand the concept.. and why its supposed to work... but does it?

Thanks You Guys

The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote

Last question first. YES.

First Question.. It depends on your version of Nuke.

The issue is that there were some mainfile changes to Nuke that affected GT-NextGen. Unfortunately, Bill (the author) has been MIA for many months now and thus has not revised any of the baseline code to address this. The major impact is on Nuke Versions after 7.4.

There are two things that you can do about it.
1) You can go into the googletap folder and modify the code of whatever module that you have set for your HOME module... meaning if News is your home module, then googletap/GT-News.php is the one you would modify. In that file, add the in and out properties of all destination links used by that block. That will fix that block so all links will be converted automatically. If it is a forums block, you can even simply copy all of the GT-Forums.php in and out rules into the GT-News.php file.

2) You can manually edit the block links to convert them to their GT counterparts. Meaning, you would change <a href="forums.html"> to <a href="forums.html"> inside the block code itself. Simply substitute the appropriate GT result. Even with variables in there, this isn't that hard if you know what the destination is supposed to look like.

Those are the main two options.

link

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Thanks 64bit dude.

I know that the bots get confused with the modules?name=a_module and that the rewrite lets them continue... but what proof is there? Any raw data showing increases in throughput numbers? Traffic increased by %? How long does it take the search engines to actually write down what the bots have been researching. I've had as many as 10 googlebots on my site at once.. there information has not been updated on msn..yahoo.. googlle... (its only been 2 weeks however.)

Takes about a month yeah?

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote

It depends. If you don't have any original content, you might find that you are either not listed at all or at the bottom of the pile. It really depends on your site.

I will say that ORIGINAL CONTENT is everything.

link

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote

What do i need to do if im getting about 100 hits from msn & yahoo a day.. but google wont even recognize me...will that help?

Ive got a ton of original content.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] music production over 150 sample packs free...

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I would like to offer a possible third option to 64bit's first two. I created a small "hack" to mainfile.php which allows you to create GT type files for key blocks too. Steph's approach will work for the home page, but if you have left blocks and right blocks enabled within any other module, option 1 will not suffice.

Option 2 works just fine, but I prefer not to modify code where possible as it makes future patches and upgrades more time consuming.

I must caution you, though, that my GTBlock Hack at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] is for version .4 and not .4a. I have not had time to install .4a (nor do I intend to at this time as I have everything working great -- why break it). Feel free to give it a try.

Regards,
montego

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote

I primarily said what I said because of his post that said it was a bottom center block which would only appear on the homepage.

link

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote

Wow... ok to many big words for me. Thanks alot 64Bit guy...

and thanks montego
for the last reply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Next Gen and Standard

View next topic
View previous topic